Glad I check tyre pressures weekly

Steveg

Steveg

Hi All

Always check tyre pressures weekly 

Had bike serviced a couple of days ago , just minor so no removal of tyres etc 

Ridden back from garage approx 50miles  M5/M6 

Did usual weekly check , noticed front was a few PSI down , however can hear hissing from valve :(

Really glad I had tyre caps on , as valve had become loose and hence leaking 

Not wanting to think what a quick flat tyre on motorway would have been like ...

Now valve tighten , no tool so local garage sorted FOC 

Original tyres from new , mechanic says it can happen as not always fully tightend when tyres fitted 

Cheers Steveg 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
davebike

Yes not that uncommon  I/we try to convince customers to cheak pressures but we still see in the spring "my bike handles badley" "when did you cheak tyre pressures" " when you servised it last year"   cheaking reviles 18 front 22 rear insted of 36/42 !

I secumed followling and intermitant leak hav a cheap chinese TPMS system not great not super accurate but reassuring !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Steveg

Think I will look at a TPMS for peace of mind. 

Cheers Steve

jeremyr62

I can recommend the Fobo 2 system. One advantage of the NC is the valves stems are metallic and angled and work well with TPMS units. 

Trev

I've got a few bikes so they dont all get ridden regularly (some very irregularly 🙄) and a tyre pressure check is almost an every ride check for me, not quite if I ride the same bike a few days in a row. Only takes a couple of minutes. 

I write tyre pressures on the sidewall in white tyre paint as often run tyres at pressures different to recommended, especially on older bikes which now wear modern tyres. 

If you run puncture preventative such as Gloop then this can bung up the valve if you take the reading with the valve at 6 o'clock so try to have valve at 10 or 2 oclock

Obviously what actual time you take the readings is up to you😁😎

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

I can recommend the Fobo 2 system. One advantage of the NC is the valves stems are metallic and angled and work well with TPMS units. 

I'm not sure about TPMS I would be very interested if I was sure they were safe, but have read about valves shearing because of centrifugal force issues with disastrous results.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
jeremyr62

The OE angled NC stems are very solid. I have had no issues. If you have rubber stems then yes, I wouldn't recommend the FOBO units. However they are supplied with replacement metal stems which you can get swapped in when you change tyres.

Edited by jeremyr62
Andy m

Valve stems are not designed to support external TPMS senders. They will ruin your day which is why they don't meet ECE R141 and are illegal as anything except retrofit. 

I really would avoid Chinese tatt and I aren't just saying that because I sell German systems. 

Get the tyre off and fit proper internal sensors. The temperature offset measurement alone is worth the extra work. 

Andy 

• Like 1
jeremyr62

The mass of the FOBO sensor is hardly more than a metal valve cap. They work OK and the sky hasn't fallen onto my head.

• Haha 1
fj_stuart

I'm very careful with tyre pressures. I give them a kick most times I ride!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Andy m said:

Valve stems are not designed to support external TPMS senders. They will ruin your day which is why they don't meet ECE R141 and are illegal as anything except retrofit. 

I really would avoid Chinese tatt and I aren't just saying that because I sell German systems. 

Get the tyre off and fit proper internal sensors. The temperature offset measurement alone is worth the extra work. 

Andy 

Can you get internal sensor systems effectively aftermarket, for the NC?

Andy m

I've never looked. 

I can't honestly see why motorcycles need them. Cars need them because drivers are still accepted who can't check with a gauge and their workload would be double . Trucks need them because employees can't be trusted to check them and the workload with a gauge is usually 7 times higher. Motorcycles will get them because car drivers and truck drivers will be made lazier and stupider by them so won't know how to use a gauge and will will scream that it's unfair. 

If there isn't an ECE R141 compatible system I'd just keep using a digital gauge.

Andy 

• Like 3
Slowboy
22 minutes ago, Andy m said:

If there isn't an ECE R141 compatible system I'd just keep using a digital gauge.

Andy 

Digital? Digital, surely a Bundenberg graduated in imperial units is the only way go. Good enough for my Grandfather, good enough for me.

Yours

General Sir George Pumptington-puffington MT, MT and bar, the 3rd Queens own Pedants

Edited by slowboy
  • Haha 8
davebike

Yes on the Valve stem issue

I would never fit anything but light weight valve caps to rubber Valve stems  

But I been using Alloy right angle units for YEARS  not cheap but long lastin strong and easy to access

Xactly
16 hours ago, Andy m said:

I've never looked. 

I can't honestly see why motorcycles need them. Cars need them because drivers are still accepted who can't check with a gauge and their workload would be double . Trucks need them because employees can't be trusted to check them and the workload with a gauge is usually 7 times higher. Motorcycles will get them because car drivers and truck drivers will be made lazier and stupider by them so won't know how to use a gauge and will will scream that it's unfair. 

Andy 

I can’t see the need either. 

ChrisCB
17 hours ago, Andy m said:

I've never looked. 

Andy 

Agreed I'm lazy. I have the Michelin TPMS on my AT and it gives a pressure reading as I push the bike out of the garage, still give the bike and tyres a visual before riding though, so convenience and laziness for me. 

I have centre stands, put the bikes on them in the garage (it saves space), turn the wheels and look for damage, remove flints and stones. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
HondaBoy
On 12/04/2022 at 07:29, davebike said:

Yes not that uncommon  I/we try to convince customers to cheak pressures but we still see in the spring "my bike handles badley" "when did you cheak tyre pressures" " when you servised it last year"   cheaking reviles 18 front 22 rear insted of 36/42 !

I secumed followling and intermitant leak hav a cheap chinese TPMS system not great not super accurate but reassuring !

You’re not wrong!!. It’s incredible the amount of people who do not check their tyre pressures regularly (I.e Weekly)! The irony is the majority of those I see, can strip down, and put back together an engine, but don’t seem to do the basics!! Then wonder why ‘my bikes riding a bit rough of late’… 🤣🤣 “Yeah, would help if you put a bit more air in those tyres!!” It’s the same with basic oil checks!! People don’t seem to keep on top of the basics. Sorry guys, but it’s true!! 😬🤣🤣

Edited by HondaBoy
DaveM59
On 12/04/2022 at 12:25, fj_stuart said:

I'm very careful with tyre pressures. I give them a kick most times I ride!

Actually that is a good test as the sound of a soft tyre is definitely different. It doesn't have to be many PSI down to resonate a different pitch. Worth doing every day on a regularly ridden bike to supplement a proper gauge check when more convenient.

Gringo

Have these around and I too don't really get the point. Visual check and the good old pencil type gauge has seen me right for over 40 years. Fitting these is just something else that can go wrong...and probably drain the mobile phone battery to boot.

• Like 1
HondaBoy

TPMS on a motorcycle?? Great on my car, but when I’m on two wheels, I want to check that those two pieces of rubber aren’t going to let me down. Is that not something people check in their pre rides inspections with a trusty tyre gauge? Maybe I’m just getting old?! 🤣

Xactly
2 hours ago, HondaBoy said:

TPMS on a motorcycle?? Great on my car, but when I’m on two wheels, I want to check that those two pieces of rubber aren’t going to let me down. Is that not something people check in their pre rides inspections with a trusty tyre gauge? Maybe I’m just getting old?! 🤣

I detest TPMS on my car too. False positives on the last two, causing angst for no reason. Tyre fitter wrecked sensor on my daughter’s car, she was compensated. Honda unable to resolve issue on my friends Honda CRV; turned out to be mismatched tyres of same make on each axle but 4 wheel drive version of tyre apparently has slightly larger circumference. All-in-all an unnecessary PITA to pander to people too dumb to sense tyre deflation and too lazy to check tyre pressures using cheap but accurate pencil type pressure gauge at home with cold tyres (as opposed to driving to use garage air line, which are notoriously inaccurate and the tyres are warm anyway). Does nobody take responsibility for anything these days? Rant over.

• Sigh 1
HondaBoy
8 minutes ago, Xactly said:

I detest TPMS on my car too. False positives on the last two, causing angst for no reason. Tyre fitter wrecked sensor on my daughter’s car, she was compensated. Honda unable to resolve issue on my friends Honda CRV; turned out to be mismatched tyres of same make on each axle but 4 wheel drive version of tyre apparently has slightly larger circumference. All-in-all an unnecessary PITA to pander to people too dumb to sense tyre deflation and too lazy to check tyre pressures using cheap but accurate pencil type pressure gauge at home with cold tyres (as opposed to driving to use garage air line, which are notoriously inaccurate and the tyres are warm anyway). Does nobody take responsibility for anything these days? Rant over.

I think we are on the same page here completely. In terms of having it in my car, It has four wheels, it’s safer IMO.

I Wouldn’t dream of relying on it for any of my bikes. But I, like you, have a gauge and check all my tyres (and my car) with it including a visual inspection of the entire circumference of the tyre on the bikes. 

fred_jb

I found TPMS on my GS useful on an organised tour.  On the first day one member of the group managed to crash and write off his bike on a mountain road while overtaking others going too slowly for his liking.  We weren't riding with the group and when we turned up must have run over some debris because a couple of miles after we all started moving again the warning light started flashing red.  I was heavily loaded with pillion and luggage, so although without it I would have hopefully noticed a change in the handling before it became critical, I was happy to have the electronic assistance for safety reasons.  It was also useful for the rest of the trip as despite my best efforts in plugging the tyre it had a slow leak for the rest of the trip.

• Like 1