Fuel consumption in D and S

Zivko

on DCT models, with D and S modes.

when driving at constant speed about 100km/h, when bike is constantly in 6 gear, does it matter in which mode is bike?

poldark

No, it just changes the revs at which the gears move up & down.  Once over around 85/90kph you're in 6th gear in either, so will deliver same mpg cruising.

• Like 1
davebike

I find that siginifagent use of S  well S2  pulls 3/5miles off the range to low fuel not a siginigant amount

• Like 1
Steve Case

At constant 62mph the bike should be in 6th at the same revs in S & D. 

I use D on dual carrigeways to prevent it changing down if the speed drops off momentarily, but S in slow traffic to stop the gearbox hunting up and down.

I do find which mode your in, if its windy and heavy accel/decel affect the consumption, but its so much better than pretty much anything else out there I tend not to worry much about it.

Grumpy old man
30 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

I do find which mode your in, if its windy and heavy accel/decel affect the consumption, but its so much better than pretty much anything else out there I tend not to worry much about it.

I'm on  manual and I find wind makes a big difference 

• Like 2
Steve Case

Yup, if its gusty I find the wind has a bigger affect than adding a passenger.

• Like 1
poldark

I'm unsure if this is really true but I tend to use S as Steve C does, for lower speed busy traffic riding, and I'm convinced the mpg display shows higher numbers in S than in D.

Again I use S to be more responsive and have less chugging (even if Honda knows best!), but in my unscientific observations I think mpg is (marginally) improved using S (in this scenario) - Discuss!!😁

Steve Case

I don't use the modes primarily for economy but to reduce unecessary gear changing, I cant stand D in town as it constantly trying to change up.

Because of this in town I have no idea whats more economical

poldark
1 hour ago, Steve Case said:

I don't use the modes primarily for economy but to reduce unecessary gear changing, I cant stand D in town as it constantly trying to change up.

Because of this in town I have no idea whats more economical

Totally agree, much "nicer" in S(1) but next time have a gander at live mpg and perhaps use D for a short time and see if I'm imagining things (again!)

• Thanks 1
Empty_Ten

In my experience, it makes very little difference.

I used to use S2 for everything.  A couple months ago, during the UK’s fuel shenanigans, I switched to using D mode for everything.  At most, I got 5-10 miles more per refill.  On the same, consistent commute.

I now use S1, just out of preference.

the majority of my commute is on National speed limit.  70mph/113kph

Edited by Empty_Ten
MatBin

Wind resistance is the biggest factor to fuel consumption over 50mph for a bike because of the diabolical drag factor for bikes. Having said that there's an optimum gear to be in at a given speed, for any vehicle, in my works van for instance it returns better mpg in 5th at 55mph than it does in 5th at 45mph.

I would imagine D has been designed to use the appropriate gear above 50mph under a constant load, whereas any of the S modes have been designed for better acceleration up to say 75mph, where I guess it will be in 6th anyway no matter what mode.

MatBin
29 minutes ago, Empty_Ten said:

In my experience, it makes very little difference.

I used to use S2 for everything.  A couple months ago, during the UK’s fuel shenanigans, I switched to using D mode for everything.  At most, I got 5-10 miles more per refill.  On the same, consistent commute.

I now use S1, just out of preference.

the majority of my commute is on National speed limit.  70mph/113kph

I don't find much difference between D and S1, so I tend to use S2, although with so many 20mph speed limits in London I am tempted to stick it N and hold onto all the speeding cyclists, including going through red lights.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Steve Case

Didn't think you still did the London thing...

Tried looking at the instananeous reading but in town it bounces up n down like a tarts drawers so not a lot of use. 

I tend to stick to average over a tankful as this is pretty much the only meaningful figure I can find, and have a look at fuelly!

Steve Case

Oh and a friend of mine keeps telling me how his CB500X matches the NC750X on economy and is more fun to ride and after checking fuelly it does appear to be very close run thing on economy.

I keep having to remind him that the NC750 has 20 lb ft more and 2250 rpm lower, and 2 up that makes a big difference.

• Like 1
Rocker66
2 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

Oh and a friend of mine keeps telling me how his CB500X matches the NC750X on economy and is more fun to ride and after checking fuelly it does appear to be very close run thing on economy.

I keep having to remind him that the NC750 has 20 lb ft more and 2250 rpm lower, and 2 up that makes a big difference.

I’m sure that the NC is better 2 up  however as I have mentioned before a couple did Kent to Norway and back 2 up with camping gear with no problems. 
Im lucky in that for me the days of needing to carry a passenger are long gone so the NC holds no advantage over the CB whilst costing more and not giving me as much pleasure . Simply a case of personal choice.

• Like 1
Steve Case

Good luck to them, they probably weight less than me & her mind and thats why I like the torque.

30 stone + cb500 twin = lots of clutch slipping

• 1 month later...
MatBin
On 12/05/2022 at 12:18, Steve Case said:

Didn't think you still did the London thing...

I pop in now and again.

Steve Case

Just to keep yer eye in and remind you what pure terror feels like?

One day i will do a day in london just so i can navigate around, but the standards of driving vary widely, and the volume of traffic exacerbates the problem.

MatBin
5 hours ago, Steve Case said:

Just to keep yer eye in and remind you what pure terror feels like?

One day i will do a day in london just so i can navigate around, but the standards of driving vary widely, and the volume of traffic exacerbates the problem.

North London is fine, bit manic but at 20mph for most of where I ride how bad will an accident be. South London, totally different, no-one looks when turning left across a bike/bus lane unless you're a great big red thing, avoid like the plague, not the ***** thing the beubonic one :)

• Thanks 1
Defender

I tend to use mine in 'D' almost all of the time and let the Honda software do the rest, I get well over 80mpg unless it's sustained dual carriageway/motorway usage, when it drops into the upper/mid 70's.   

Steve Case
On 16/06/2022 at 23:06, MatBin said:

North London is fine, bit manic but at 20mph for most of where I ride how bad will an accident be. South London, totally different, no-one looks when turning left across a bike/bus lane unless you're a great big red thing, avoid like the plague, not the ***** thing the beubonic one :)

I was always told saff of the river was were all the cowboys lived.

MatBin
5 hours ago, Steve Case said:

I was always told saff of the river was were all the cowboys lived.

Dunno about that, there were/are (probably) some rough old characters north of the Thames, think East London. my Dad was a London (black) Cabbie and he wouldn't go south of the river at any price! And that was pre 1965.

I have been a few times, not something I want to repeat in a hurry if I can help it.

Outside the M25 south is ok, commuter belt counties like Surrey etc.

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
On 12/05/2022 at 13:26, Steve Case said:

Me (2016 Integra) and the owner of the CB500X did a 2300 km tour in the Balkan region. The fuel consumption is exactly the same at this distance, but the comfort is much better in NC, due to the vibration.
CB500X Lighter, but the center of gravity position is higher, which can be felt at small turns on serpentine roads,
With NC, you can make lean more skillfully, even though it is heavier.
The sound of the CB500X is very nice, but it needs to be rotated.

Rocker66

I think it’s all a matter of opinion and taste. I have owned 2 NCs both X models and I’m on my 4th CB500X. Personally I find the CB500X more fun to ride whilst others obviously prefer the NC. I don’t think that there is a definite answer as to which is the better bike as it down to the individual which they prefer.

Steve Case

Who said the nc is fun to ride? Stop them now!

Mine was bought to replace a suzuki burgman which was bought to replace a skoda octavia.

I expect the nc to last till 2030 minimum and 150000 miles minimum, thats what i bought it for.

Sunday bikes, now those are for fun...

• Like 1