Dct showing 1 can't select neutral

stussyd

Hi guys.. Totally new to bikes and there workings. I recently got a 2016 nc750 dct.. All been working fine except for a new battery about 2 months ago along with mot... Today  took covers off and tried to start her.. No luck with cranking but I noticed the gear selector indicated 1 in the box and not neutral.. Also abs flashing.any ideas what I could check Please. 

MatBin

Sounds like you left it in gear when you switched it off, you should always select N before switching off with key (don't use the kill switch). If you haven't ridden the bike for a while the battery may not have enough energy to push the box into neutral on its own, so won't start, rocking it back and forth while hitting the mode/gear N selector may get it back into neutral and then be able to start. If not you will need to charge the battery, on that note it's a good idea to start the bike up and run it for a short while to keep the battery charged on a regular/frequent basis if you are not going to ride it. Alternatively get a smart charger, attach a fly lead and top it up once a week.

The NC is generally a reliable bike but the DCT version is quite battery sensitive and most problems seem to arise because of battery issues.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the information..I have just checked battery 11.2v. I cant remember if it was switched off incorrectly but will endeavour to remember that in future. I bought a new Yuasa battery a few months ago and charged it up..do I need to charge it all the time if I'm not using bike as its only been ideal a few months. The  battery is a lead acid type so do I need to top these up still? Would it be normal for a new battery to drop down to 11v in 8 weeks of unuse connected to the bike.. Sorry not clued up much on bike maintenance. 

Edited by stussyd
jeremyr62

Probably. There is always a small current drain in modern bikes. If you know you won’t be using it, disconnect or take the battery out. Or get a Optimate type battery charger. 

• Thanks 1
MatBin

Top up, yes, in terms of keeping it charged, not in terms of adding fluid as I suspect it will be a sealed battery. Bike batteries are only small so need more care than say a car battery. I would purchase a charger that will do all types of batteries as there are many types now and if you get one that will only do lead acid it won't work on other types. Do make sure it's for a bike though as a car battery might be too 'strong' and push too much current into a bike battery and ruin it. You can get lead acid, gel, li-ion and AGM types but a lead acid charger will not work with the other types.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

If the condition and current of the battery is good, even the stepper motor (shift control motor) could have sticks.
When you turn it on, do you hear a clicking sound from the lower left side of the engine? (I don't mean the sound of the fuel pump)

If not, highly recommend to check shift control motor.
Although Honda replaces it in one piece, the inside can be cleaned, as enough graphite dust in the closed structure can stop the engine temporarily.
It is recommended to clean it every 20,000 miles, it can also be found on youtube.

Have luck!

davebike

11.2 volts is a flat battery

For your wallets sake ALWAYS select netural befor turning off with DCT  it appears to be the one vonerability of the dct system

Charge teh battery  turn on  if it dose not make netural stright away move bike/rear wheel untill it dose

Remember to select netural befor turning off

• Like 2