Hand / parking brake calliper

davebike

davebike

Well mine is up to >31k miles now last week I replaced (at last) the rear disk and pads. While i was there had a proper lok at the hand brake calliper OPPS!!  outer pad which you can see on the bike easly was good inner pad was though to the metal ! The calliper is a sliding type as the others on the bike. the sliding  parts were compleatly sized . The pad pins also sized so badly I had to cut and drill them to remove them  well it all sorted but

I recomend unless you KNOW that the pad pins have been out and the sliding parts do slide  you remoce them and grease them

2 new pad pins 3 rubber parts (£29 trade) and a lot of time and swaring

I bet no workshop even looks  I will in future !

Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Steve Case

Thanks Dave your about 3 weeks too late, my handbrake has never been touched so thought I ought to have a look at it.

Pads appear ok and one pin unscrewed but the other has been rounded...

I look forward to fixing it!!!

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
HondaRider

Yep, I too attempted to remove the brake pad pins on my 2015 parking brake caliper in order to service the latter as not covered by Honda's service schedule.  Despite lubricating/ cleaning out the first pin head, I rounded it in situ. Bought some Wera Hex Plus Allen Keys and I'm hoping those will work and save me drilling the screw and using easi outs. I propose removing the caliper when the weather warms up, which I guess I should have done in the first place!

Paul

• Like 1

Never used the parking brake...

But I'll give it a look over and copaslip the pins and mounting bolts.

Thanks for the heads up...

Like DCTPaul, I've never used the park brake and can't really think why you ever would use it!

jeremyr62
Just now, Blandy199 said:

Like DCTPaul, I've never used the park brake and can't really think why you ever would use it!

I use it on the ferry and when parked on an incline, and when just parked as it will confuse the scrotes hopefully.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Blandy199 said:

So why does it have one? Does the handbook not explain when it should be used? Genuinely curious.

jeremyr62

Cos you can't leave it in gear to stop it rolling about.

• Like 1
HondaRider

As regards the parking brake caliper I have a bit more info for you if you decide to remove/disassemble/lube/assemble.

Firstly, I have just received new OEM pad pins.  The reason some of us have rounded the allen heads is that they have RED loctite on them. So we need heat to remove the old ones.

Secondly, the manual says install a new rubber dirt seal.  Now these are no longer available from Honda in UK (supplied in turn from a third party).  However, I discovered they can be ordered from MotorcycleSpareParts (MSP) UK who source their OEM parts overseas. So I've got that part as well.

Hope that helps

Paul

• Thanks 2
jeremyr62

I am sure we have had a similar thread along these lines. The general consensus was the pads should last forever because they are supposed to be only used when the bike is stationary. However, I will confess to moving off without releasing the brake so that will account for some wear I suppose. 

When I bought my VFR1200 in August the parking brake was completely ineffective but it just needed adjusting.

HondaRider

My reason for dismantling the caliper was not to replace the pads but to service the caliper as one should with the front and rear main calipers, to ensure everything slides properly.  However, if the rider never uses the parking brake I can understand not wanting to touch it.

Paul

2 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

Cos you can't leave it in gear to stop it rolling about.

That’s what I imagined; why would one not use it?