Chain link splitter

Gringo

Gringo

Can anyone recommend a chain link splitter / riveter that actually works? I purchased one a few weeks ago and the darn thing stripped its thread on the first use. So I did what I should have done in the first place and used an angle grinder to break the chain. The new one is on but I'm damned if I can get the link in situ either via the spring clip or rivets. Maybe I'm getting too old and weak to do this mechanical stuff these days. 

Ead-SVBg-HRry3i-ZEh6-QKijw.jpg

zf-Yl-Lpc-TJGgh-Zw-WRwj-MLg.jpg

fj_stuart

I use a DID type splitter. It is easy and gives good results. For many years I fitted rivet links off the bike using a ball peen hammer and an anvil. You have to remove the swing arm to fit the chain but this gives an opportunity to grease the arm & suspension linkage bearings.

see here

s-l500.jpg

Edited by fj_stuart
  • Like 1
shiggsy

These things are poorly named, they should be called pin pushers not chain splitters. You still need to grind the heads off of the pins before you use them to push the pins out.

• Like 2
Andy m

I stopped using mine. Off with the grinder, on with a clip link. 

What's preventing the new clip going on? The biggest problem with these tools is that they crush the O-rings on the new link and produce the exact stiff link that will destroy the new chain. There shouldn't be any real effort involved to just form heads over a plate sat on a shoulder on its pins. 

Andy 

jeremyr62
17 minutes ago, Andy m said:

The biggest problem with these tools is that they crush the O-rings on the new link and produce the exact stiff link that will destroy the new chain. There shouldn't be any real effort involved to just form heads over a plate sat on a shoulder on its pins. 

Yeah, that would be my experience too. You have to be very careful putting the new side plate on. I try to use a hammer to peen the soft rivet pins over once I have the side plates where I want them. Another reason for using a chain oiler to make this a redundant activity. :)

jeremyr62
11 hours ago, Gringo said:

Can anyone recommend a chain link splitter / riveter that actually works?

I have the Motion Pro version of the one you have. Probably exactly the same although I bought it over 20 years ago. The first time I used it I bent the riveter pin. I t was soft as anything, so had to fashion a replacement out of a stronger steel. I think I used silver steel as I had it lying around. Not much help to you, but the tool you have is pretty crap if mine is the same.

Gringo
44 minutes ago, Andy m said:

What's preventing the new clip going on? 

Andy 

I'm unable to compress the side plates enough to clear the grooves where the clip goes in. I'm going to have another go today. See what happens.

alhendo1

I borrowed this from you tube. The guy uses pliers to snap the link on then a spare link to evenly load the side plate on. When I fitted mine I used a g clamp and small socket doing it a small increment at a time loading the side plate evenly...same difference....from memory my side plate went on easy but maybe some are a tighter fit....hope this helps.

• Thanks 2
Slowboy

@Gringo, I’ve used a Motion pro kit for years, and like @Andy m I use a grinder to remove the rivet heads on the old links.
The motion pro kit makes riveting easy and it helps if you have a vernier calliper to measure the spread of the rivet head. From memory a DID 520 chain is 7.4 mm to get the plate tension about right. Worth checking before taking my word for it though.

• Thanks 1
fj_stuart

Yes, the tool is only needed to press on the outer link plate and form the rivet head. A grinder and a punch will easily remove the old link.

As for crushing O rings - they certainly don't - not on any chain I've fitted. As can be seen in the video the inner link plate has an upstand that produces a gap for the O ring.

Here's a question for split link fans. If you asked Mr Honda or Mr DID "I'm putting a new chain on my NC750, how should I join it?". What answer would you get?

• Like 1
Slowboy
Just now, fj_stuart said:

…..Here's a question for split link fans. If you asked Mr Honda or Mr DID "I'm putting a new chain on my NC750, how should I join it?". What answer would you get?

Refer to dealer?……..😂😂😂

• Thanks 1
fj_stuart

As Brain says if you form the rivet head to the specified diameter you will achieve a perfect result.....but lets keep dealers out of it!

• Like 1
alhendo1
1 hour ago, fj_stuart said:

Here's a question for split link fans. If you asked Mr Honda or Mr DID "I'm putting a new chain on my NC750, how should I join it?". What answer would you get?

Honda would say join with a rivet....DID,from memory, suggest a rivet as preferable but will sell you a split link.

jeremyr62
2 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

As can be seen in the video the inner link plate has an upstand that produces a gap for the O ring.

I can see how that would solve the issue but I'm pretty sure not all brands have that.

Grumpy old man

Not a rivet breaker  but these look like a handy tool for riveting or just pushing the side plates on to get the spring clip on.

https://chainsandsprockets.co.uk/products/afam-motorcycle-press-riveting-tool

I need to get one.

Edited by Grumpy old man
MatBin

I bought a link compressor from Wemoto *, a DID chain and split link, it all came off and went on ok. Angle grinder to get one of the original links off so as to remove chain.

* Only cost a few quid, just a bent bit of metal with a bolt, did a little bit of each side of the rivet until it was down far enough and parallel without binding and causing a stiff link.

Edited by MatBin
  • Like 1
Gringo
11 hours ago, alhendo1 said:

I borrowed this from you tube. The guy uses pliers to snap the link on then a spare link to evenly load the side plate on. When I fitted mine I used a g clamp and small socket doing it a small increment at a time loading the side plate evenly...same difference....from memory my side plate went on easy but maybe some are a tighter fit....hope this helps.

Brilliant. Worked a treat. Thanks all for responding. Love this forum to bits.

I guess I've been spoiled over the past few years by having a shaft drive bike. Well out of practice with chains...but I'll pick it up again one day.

• Like 1