puncture -plug or not to plug that nail hole?

bazza

bazza

Thinking of adding a puncture kit pre tour and found this kit via google.Its something I havent seen before and its not being sold on that auction site.Yet they are widely sold in USA.So what's the problem -they must work but is it a legal thing or what? knowing how keen the yanks are about sue'ing I can't imagine that the makers are selling a kit that has issues.

so tyre experts -tell us more .on Amazon "steelman tyre repair kit"

Andy m

This one on Amazon USA? https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-JSP12361TOTE-Repair-Passenger-Vehicles/dp/B00KDD3SAS

Just a worm kit, nothing special about it good or bad . It'll get you home with a tread puncture. 

I prefer mushroom plugs as they usually can be permanent https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Repair-Plugger-Mushroom-Nozzle/dp/B096VL36CK/ref=sr_1_5?crid=HPYNKLTQHMG2&keywords=stop+n+go+tyre+plugger+kit&qid=1656052571&sprefix=stop+n+go%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-5

Andy 

Edited by Andy m
MatBin

Cant you just replace the tube, runs for exit door.

I have a compressor and puncture repair kit in my frunk, obviously as I have it I will never need it, so yes go ahead and buy it but you will need something to inflate the tyre post repair.

Edited by MatBin
Grumpy old man

Worth a watch 

• Like 3
MatBin

That tyre ain't gonna pass it's MOT.

• Haha 1
Andy m

It's not often I disagree with the Fortnine bloke, but on this one I think he missed something . A worm after a days ride is dried out like last week's chewing gum and set to a shape like something a six year old pulled out of their nose. The cross section is like a figure 8, so less well sealed where the worm meets itself. The mushroom plug is round peg in a round hole of a known size and will have started to form a head on the outside of the tyre to match the one inside. I've never managed to get a worm past a few weeks old, they start to leak. A mushroom at a year old is impossible to find from the outside, it's rubber has completely flowed into the tyre and the wear made it a continuous surface. His test shows you hitting a brick the same day as the puncture, so fair enough the worm is initially stronger while still sticky. The mushroom overtakes it in an unknown time before a year. 

Worms also dry out when stored. You need to buy fresh ones probably once a year, so the cost he quotes isn't an entirely fair comparison. Will you remember to buy more worms? You can buy mushrooms without the kit to top up, but 5 year old ones work. At 3 years and no punctures you are financially better off with a mushroom kit. 

If I was going to ride to Vladivostock I'd buy a new worm kit to add to the mushrooms. For a sidewall bodge they might save you. For Europe I'll stick with the mushrooms. 

They all work though and leave a repairable tyre, which is more than can be said for gloop and foam. 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Graham

I have used the worm style plugs with success. My Road Pilot on the RS took a nail the year we went to Nashville.  
I waited until we were leaving and put a new tire on it. 
The NC took a big nail at the start of June. It’s the first back tire for the 2021 and it has 8,000kms on it. I have a service appointment for 12,000kms so I plan on leaving it, if I can until then. 
So far it has stead fast and I will keep an eye on it…

05CD32C4-12DA-4BEA-99CA-2B0A3EF19B18.jpeg.b2fa4d4a415de50b1b8828aa188dd3a2.jpeg

it was fortunately in the tread 

C3E79F9A-2870-4E6D-938C-7A82AA627107.jpeg.d9e940a01a9a1cfd6984e604888a63ee.jpeg

and this is the kit

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just seen this post and whilst touring in the Pyrenees last week, guess what?

Yes flat rear tyre! In 35 degrees with no shade I had to fit my first ever rope plug. Easy enough once offending item removed and luckily I had packed a 12v mini compressor. Continued the rest of my tour (600 miles since repair) topped up pressure each morning as it was loosing 5psi every 24 hours. Now safely home and wheel off for new tyre tomorrow, definitely recommend the rope type kit.

• Like 2
count von count

I’ve used Rema plug&air repair kits in the past and currently have a Gear Gremlin repair kit under the seat / in the frunk on both my bikes.  They’re good for getting you out of a stranded-by-the-road situation. Then replace with a proper mushroom repair from a good tyre fitter. Those things are good for the remaining life (tread) of the tyre, up to and above motorway speeds. I have done track days on repaired tyres.

• Like 1