Noisy clutch NC750x….

Springfieldm6

Springfieldm6

Hello

i have a 2018 Honda NC750x (not DCT), which has 23k miles on it. I’ve read a number of posts on this forum about the clutch being noisy, and unfortunately mine is no exception. Up until recently it has been “acceptably” noisy, in my opinion, however it has now developed a rattle at lower revs (it might still be there at higher revs but I can’t hear it) - this noise disappears when the clutch is in. I’ve taken of the engine cover and discovered some sideways play in the clutch - this appears to be between the clutch basket, which has a phosphor bronze (?) non replaceable bush and the steel bush which it rides on, rather than play in the clutch shaft bearing. The steel bush appeared a bit glazed, so I assumed that there was some wear there. I couldn’t tell if the bronze bush was worn, but assumed so. However..the price of the steel bush was £60 and the clutch basket was £600, so I decided to replace just the steel bush, to see if there was any improvement. I lubricated all the parts and reassembled. For about 60 miles it was nice and quiet, however now it is back to its noisy ways…

So, has anyone had similar issues, if so how were they rectified, do I need to get a new clutch basket or are there any companies re-bushing the clutch basket, is it likely to be safe to ride with some play, and why would it have worn so quickly given that it has been serviced and is low mileage? I’ve only ridden old knackered bikes in the past and never had a clutch problem. Except for a ‘58 Triumph where the clutch wobbled about but this was deemed normal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Springfieldm6

jeremyr62

If the noise bother you then new clutch basket. However it is very unlikely to cause any kind of failure. Virtually all the manual bikes I have owned did it to one degree or another. 

• Like 1
Rocker66

if you think your clutch is noisy just stand next to a Ducati with a ventilated dry clutch then you will know what a noisy clutch sounds like :)

Seriously I hope you get your problem solved without too much expense.I'm sure those with more technical knowledge than me will be along to help you.

Welcome to forum BTW.

clutch.jpg

Xactly
4 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

If the noise bother you then new clutch basket. However it is very unlikely to cause any kind of failure. Virtually all the manual bikes I have owned did it to one degree or another. 

What he says. Mine has rattled from new. Opinion of an independent ex-Honda mechanic is that, whilst not all of them rattle, a lot do. I believe it’s just a tolerance issue. Whatever, it’s unlikely to do anything. Just about every bike I’ve owned with gear primary drive has rattled until the clutch lever is pulled in. The worst was my F800GT, though the NC is probably the second worse….

Springfieldm6

Many thanks for your reassurances! I’ll carry on riding, and enjoying the bike, rather than worrying about it!
Springfieldm6

Steve Case
19 hours ago, Xactly said:

What he says. Mine has rattled from new. Opinion of an independent ex-Honda mechanic is that, whilst not all of them rattle, a lot do. I believe it’s just a tolerance issue. Whatever, it’s unlikely to do anything. Just about every bike I’ve owned with gear primary drive has rattled until the clutch lever is pulled in. The worst was my F800GT, though the NC is probably the second worse….

Tolerance of what? the bike or the owner...

Stands back, suck thru teeth and states "They all do that sir, its how you know the bikes working".

Xactly
2 hours ago, Steve Case said:

Tolerance of what? the bike or the owner...

Stands back, suck thru teeth and states "They all do that sir, its how you know the bikes working".

Two cogs meshing? Axial play? Can’t be bothered shimming properly (oh no, that’s the old RE way…

• Haha 1
Steve Case

Shit if you have go into a honda gearbox, you've done something wrong.

Xactly
2 hours ago, Steve Case said:

Shit if you have go into a honda gearbox, you've done something wrong.

Only if it’s a DCT one….

• Haha 1
Steve Case

Yeah will be interesting to see how it lasts.