Problem with DCT drop into ‘-‘

rjp996

rjp996

Hi, apart from a £20 fuel pump solenoid failing, I have the first real problem on my NC750x. 
it’s done 80k plus miles now and last few times I have taken it out the DCT has had a fault where the gear indicator changes to ‘-‘ and it stays in the gear it’s in.  If I change stop and turn off the bike, turn it back on I hear it selecting neutral and it all work again.. did it once on my 150 mile commute to Bournemouth the other morning, but was fine the two days I was there and the way back, but did it again just now on the way to the pub for breakfast 

I’ve had a search and it sounds like the early NC700 had shift pin failures where they would break. Mine is a 2015 NC750x. Any ideas on what the fault could be, I’m ok to change the shift pin, just not sure if the intermittent failure I’m getting is in line with a shift pin failure as if it breaks I would expect it to not shift back into neutral on re start and work ok after that for a bit. It’s due a service in 2k miles but the oil level looks ok, as I was wondering if the clutches are oil pressure activated. 

any help appreciated

DaveM59

Intermittent failures are usually electrical so start by checking the sensor connections then if all is OK it could possibly be the shift motor getting weak. Take it off power it up in your hand and if it doesn't really twist your hand off, then it is probably getting worn. If the casing is beginning to rust then that may be an indicator that it's getting past it's best.

MatBin

How old is the battery?

rjp996

Battery probably 2 years old. When I start the bike with a meter on the battery it’s not dropping much so think that’s ok. 

the shift motor… I will have to look I. The service manual to see where that’s located - thanks

rjp996

I found a YouTube of someone taking out the motor and cleaning it.. may give that a try

davebike

Yes the clutches work on oil pressure

You fault could be the pin  sounds like it but try others like the shift motor and battery first as access to the pin is a pain!

• Like 1
rjp996
On 11/07/2022 at 07:38, davebike said:

Yes the clutches work on oil pressure

You fault could be the pin  sounds like it but try others like the shift motor and battery first as access to the pin is a pain!

when you have seen the pin go, has it been working to suddenly not as the pin breaks or did the owners report it getting worse until it stopped changing all together. 

im going to take a look at the change motor this weekend, after that I think it may be a night reading the service manual on taking the clutch pack out ;-)

rjp996

Well too out the shift motor, cleaned up the contacts for the brushes and removed a load of old brush dust from inside and put it all back together….. to find the O ring left on the seat !!!! All apart again and back together again and to my surprise it still works 🤣🤣. Left it on a battery tender doing re condition just in case and see how it goes. 

• Like 1
Skidt

Good luck, hope it works out okay for you. 

• 1 month later...

Well an update… after cleaning the shift motor, it still dropped into the ‘-‘ the next time I went on a motorway. 
in bought a shift motor but not installed it yet however I did notice the bike was 2k over its service interval ( miles happen quickly….), so I changed the oil and the clutch filter… and I’ve ridden almost 2k miles more without the issue re occurring. So I’m hopeful it’s resolved and my assumption is it may have been due to old oil and a dirty / not well flowing clutch filter ???
I change the clutch filter every other service and I’m wondering if maybe I given one of the clutch filter cover bolts had sheered off, on a previous filter changed if the last time it was due if I didn’t change the filter as I didn’t have time / inclination to drilling out the broken bolt from the engine case… maybe. However seems this was the potential cause ( fingers crossed)

• Thanks 1