What should I do with a bike that's been stood?

CameronS

Hey all,

I've just got my 700x back on the road after its been stood for a few years. I'm wondering what service work I should be doing to keep it going for a long time? It's done about 43k miles so far. 

So far I thought of the following:

Oil and filter

Coolant replacement

Brake fluid replacement 

Fork oil replacement

Valve clearances?

Lube foot pegs, lever pivot points, stands. 

Anything else I've forgotten? 

poldark

Chain clean/lube maybe swap if it's sat and corroded?

Andy m

Valve clearances will be fine, they change due to wear not time. 

I hope the petrol tank was drained? 

I bet you end up buying a battery.

Have a good look at anything that got wet, especially the wiring loom and anything that doesn't feel right, first pull on the clutch, first application of the brakes etc. Things like seized calliper pins will do the damage as the Un-seize. 

Andy

Jamesc

Is there any indication that it needs a lot of work done?

On mine I would just tend to check out the safety related items (e.g. tyres, brakes, lights, suspension Inc greasing linkage, etc) then do the other stuff as & when

Edited by Jamesc

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

I've ridden it around a bit and all feels fine. 

Tyres seem ok, checked them for cracking, depth, pressure, don't seem to be an odd shape from not moving. 

The chain was left quite dirty so I'll give it a clean and see if it's rusted, hopefully the coating of oil it had will have stopped that. 

The petrol tank was not drained, it had about a quarter of a tank in. It seems to be running fine though? I've added a new tank of fuel so the old stuff should be suitably diluted now. 

I've charged the battery up and again seems to be ok. But I'll keep an eye on it.

The bike was stored inside so nothing got wet fortunately and I can't see or feel anything untoward that's rusted. 

There is nothing obviously wrong, just want to make sure there's nothing I've missed. 

What needs checking on the suspension? Which linkages need greasing? 

That video was very useful and I'll definitely be doing that. 

Is there a consensus on what is the best grease to use for the linkages?

Rev Ken

Check the age of your tyres. If over 5 years old consider replacing them. Some will suggest this 'recommended' life by manufacturers is just a way of getting you to buy new tyres, but personally I never risked it after having a caravan tyre blow on me. They looked fine with masses of tread when I started out, but some drivers coming into Edinburgh from the airport road had almost as much fright as I had as my caravan swerved over both lanes of the dual carriageway. How it didn't turn over I've no idea as I certainly wasn't in control. IF I had been on a motorcycle.......

• Like 1
Mr Toad

I agree about the tyres. 

You may not be able to detect any deterioration but given they are they are the only thing between youand certain injury, or worse should one fail, then to me it's a. no brainer. 

• Like 1

I used Castrol LM grease, it’s what was on my shelf, and I’ve used it for similar jobs over the years. I’m sure it will be absolutely fine. It’s an easy job, so I’ll check it again next year.

I've checked the tyres today and it seems that I put new tyres on it before I put it away. They are some nearly new Avon storm 3d. One is four years old and one is five. 

I don't have the time to do all the jobs in one big go, so I'm doing as much as I can in my lunch breaks and evening. I did the oil first as I thought it was the most important.

I've done the following so far: 

Oil and filter change

Lube pivot points 

Checked chain condition/ slack, sprocket teeth wear and condition. 

Checked tyre age, condition and depth. 

It's just had an MOT so hopefully they checked some other things. 

Any suggestions on what I should do next? 

MatBin
On 08/08/2022 at 14:58, CameronS said:

I've checked the tyres today and it seems that I put new tyres on it before I put it away. They are some nearly new Avon storm 3d. One is four years old and one is five. 

I don't have the time to do all the jobs in one big go, so I'm doing as much as I can in my lunch breaks and evening. I did the oil first as I thought it was the most important.

I've done the following so far: 

Oil and filter change

Lube pivot points 

Checked chain condition/ slack, sprocket teeth wear and condition. 

Checked tyre age, condition and depth. 

It's just had an MOT so hopefully they checked some other things. 

Any suggestions on what I should do next? 

Enjoy it. :)

Edited by MatBin
  • Like 3
BackMarker

Check all the brake pistons are free, pads and pins sliding, etc...

I bought a Guzzi from a meticulous owner, except he'd never checked the single front brake caliper - half the pistons were seized. I didn't find out until after I'd ridden home round the M25. :shocked: