Down side to racing filter?

treedweller

treedweller

When I did my first oil change, I saw hiproflow had a basic filter and “RC” racing filter. Specs are better on the racing one and it’s only a couple of extra bucks, so I went for the upgrade. Also used full synthetic oil at $12/qt. Oil is the engine’s lifeblood, after all. A few bucks now might get me a few thousand miles of engine life. 

Thinking about it later I wondered if there’s a down side to the RC? Like, maybe they’re great for the race but expected to be replaced sooner or something? 

any thoughts out there? TIA. 

It's a basic engine so I just use a normal filter and semi synthetic oil so to me you are wasting money there that could be spent on petrol for the tank,just saying.

• Like 2
treedweller

I’m a penny-wise-pound-foolish kind of guy. At $4/gal, I might go another 100 miles for what I’d save on lesser oil. If the bike lasts longer and runs smoother, I’m fine with that. 

also, early indications (i.e. watching the computer estimate while driving the same commute) suggest I might have improved mileage by 3-5 per gal, so I’m not convinced it cost me anything. I’ll do the actual miles / gallons calculation at next fillup. 

But is the filter actually worse for regular street driving in some way? 

treedweller

Should note, I’d be happy to switch to Rotella or another synthetic that’s rated properly once the warranty expires. Until then, I’m going with the book and using 10w30, which I could not find in any MA approved oil other than the expensive stuff. 

treedweller

Ok, I did the math. 

HF204 $12.34

rotella T4 semi-synth $35/gal

total $48

HF204RC $14.89

Lucas oil $10.50x4 (checked my receipt and it wasn’t $12)

total $57

so $11 more expensive. That’s about 3 gallons of gas right now, so call it 200 miles less over the course of the oil change. 

10,000 miles to next oil change vs. 6000 for semi-synth

I didn’t spend a lot of time shopping prices, and I’m not sure what oil was being suggested above, but it seems to me I’m  not spending much (any?) extra money, my interval is longer, and my engine is being treated better. 

penny wise, pound foolish. 

I have no regrets. 

Grumpy old man

Hi

I asked the same question about the racing filter and the general consensus was it wasn't an issue and all should be fine and indeed it was. I always use a semi synthetic oil ( motul 5100 10w40) and over 68000 miles I've had no issues.

Service intervals according to Honda are 8000 miles or 12 months and didn't think it matters what oil is used do long as it reaches the correct specs.

$11 for 3 gallons  I wish.

Enjoy that bike.

• Like 2

Hi Flo Filters?

Hi Flo are fine HF204, the RC just has a hex at the front with a hole for lock wiring...

As for Oil, Non DCT 10w40... DCT 10w30,

(My first service invoice said Fully Synth)

Me Castrol 10w30 Racing Synthetic, only a couple of quid more than the semi... and got a Halfords Trade Card...

In time it will prolly get Halfords 5w40 Fully Syn, like everything else i've owned...

And see if the DCT likes it...

Edited by DCTPaul
  • Like 2
listener
19 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

$11 for 3 gallons  I wish.

Three US gallon is only a little over eleven litres.

So that as near as damn it $1 (approximately 80p) per litre.

That's what we were on in the early 2000s.

We're currently around £1.70 (about $2) per litre.

• Sad 1
  • 8 months later...
steeve139

Hi,

I agree with DCTPaul.  The HF204RC is just an HF204 with that hex head on the end.  It gives you more choice about what tool you use to tighten it up with.  Look carefully about how hiflo describe the two filters.  They say something about the RC that they don't say about the standard part.  But that is not the same as saying they are different.  They just leave it open for us to make that assumption - sneaky!

The racers need the lockwire facility, while roadies generally don't.

When it comes to oil, make sure you buy JASO MA or JASO MA2 approved oil.  The easy thing to do is to use the grade specified by Honda - 10w30 in my case, but I am sitting here wondering whether I should use 10w40 - we are getting more 40C days in the UK now.  I can buy both at the same price.