Tyre choice

vanbobble

vanbobble

Only had my 2021 NC750x a couple of months now, bike has done 2800 miles in total, had done 1300 when I got it

it had metezeler tourance next tyres on currently which I understand are not overly road focussed

I have found myself only riding on roads and probably more spiritedly than most NC750x riders

from what I read pilot road 5 or 6 seem to be some of the best tyres available for all around road use with particulars good grip in the wet.. so considering getting a pair given wetter weather will be on its way

Also wondering about pilot power 5’s and if anyone is running these? Or if they would even be worth putting on a NC750x? 

any other suggestions appreciated.. really want to get a decent pair

vanbobble

Cheers I will have a look

Also been reading good things about mitas sport force plus - but again wondering if overkill for a NC750x even if I do like riding it quick and on the twisties 

skorpion
25 minutes ago, vanbobble said:

Only had my 2021 NC750x a couple of months now, bike has done 2800 miles in total, had done 1300 when I got it

it had metezeler tourance next tyres on currently which I understand are not overly road focussed

I have found myself only riding on roads and probably more spiritedly than most NC750x riders

from what I read pilot road 5 or 6 seem to be some of the best tyres available for all around road use with particulars good grip in the wet.. so considering getting a pair given wetter weather will be on its way

Also wondering about pilot power 5’s and if anyone is running these? Or if they would even be worth putting on a NC750x? 

any other suggestions appreciated.. really want to get a decent pair

Not tried the Pilot Road 5 myself  only the PR 4 that I found excellent in the wet or dry, The road 5 bothered me as it's tread runs out well before the tyres edge, may not be a problem in the rain as you don't lean over that far, but in the dry encountering a wet road surface when cranked over the thought bothered me.

On the Road 6 Michelin have addressed this concern of mine now tread to the edge of the tyre.

Edited by skorpion
  • Like 2
poldark

A word in defence of Metzeler Tourance Next, they may not be full-on sportsbike rubber but the NC isn't a sportsbike.

They will work absolutely fine unless you're about to do a track day, so use them up rather than ditch.

Another vote for Avon Storm Ultra as a replacement, though Michelin is excellent (if your budget allows)

Edited by poldark
  • Like 1
Viator
1 hour ago, vanbobble said:

What make you say that? I think they are a very good tyre on the NC with excellent wet and dry grip and good handling👍I've only put 2500 miles on mine so cannot comment on wear, my only observation is I wonder if they are a little puncture prone having had two rear punctures thogh it's probably just my bad luck.

• Like 1
vanbobble
9 minutes ago, Viator said:

What make you say that? I think they are a very good tyre on the NC with excellent wet and dry grip and good handling👍I've only put 2500 miles on mine so cannot comment on wear, my only observation is I wonder if they are a little puncture prone having had two rear punctures thogh it's probably just my bad luck.

Sounds like you have had a bit of bad luck mate.. like I said just read somewhere there are more just road focussed tyres, I won’t be doing 10% off tarmac

that being said they seemed good so far in the dry.. but then I have no comparison 

vanbobble
55 minutes ago, poldark said:

A word in defence of Metzeler Tourance Next, they may not be full-on sportsbike rubber but the NC isn't a sportsbike.

They will work absolutely fine unless you're about to do a track day, so use them up rather than ditch.

Another vote for Avon Storm Ultra as a replacement, though Michelin is excellent (if your budget allows)

cool will definitely check out Avon storm.. yes I am aware it is not a sport bike but I have been keeping up with some! 

I love the bike, good upright position for my height, good fuel economy even riding quick.. really seems powerful  enough for me I just like pushing it on the road. 

can’t see myself wanting anything else anytime soon.. just wondering if better tyres would be good given riding it hard

poldark
10 hours ago, vanbobble said:

can’t see myself wanting anything else anytime soon.. just wondering if better tyres would be good given riding it hard

I strongly suspect that any decent tyre will cope with the hardest you'll ever manage on an NC.

Don't make the mistake that thinking hypersport tyres (Pilot Power for instance) will be beneficial, especially in colder winter weather, as they aren't designed to operate in sub-10C temps like Adventure/Sport Touring tyres.

• Like 2
Grumpy old man

I use the Avon Storms 3d xm. I'm happy with them and certainly get more miles from then than the Pr4s I used before and run quieter. The latest front tyre I put on does give a very slight handlebar shake between 45-50 mph but only when I completely let go of the bars which apparently other users have had the same issue. 

• Like 1
jeremyr62

Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE are flippin fantastic on my S. A big improvement over the OE Bridgestones.

• Like 1
Rev Ken
8 hours ago, poldark said:

I strongly suspect that any decent tyre will cope with the hardest you'll ever manage on an NC.

Don't make the mistake that thinking hypersport tyres (Pilot Power for instance) will be beneficial, especially in colder winter weather, as they aren't designed to operate in sub-10C temps like Adventure/Sport Touring tyres.

I'd agree that ANY modern tyre is well up to any road use, but in the wet the safety margin is less, and we all make mistakes! Michelin 4/5/6s have excellent wet grip in alll teh reviews I've read and each generation improves over the previous generation. I also agree that going for hypersport tyres is a waste of money and are inferior for road use. (I frequently grounded every bike I had with Michelins on and had total confidence in them in the wet.) 

You'll have to get a tyre you have confidence in, so it is up to you! (I hated my Metzelers that came on my F800GT - they frightened in the wet me so didn't last for long before being swapped!)

• Like 2

Had the pr 3/4/5 on the nc when I commuted and found the wet grip excellent. The conti motion a little less inspiring when cold and damp but at the price very effective.

I would rather have a little bit in the bag then the other way round if you know what I mean . I would be surprised if any tyre manufacturer hasn’t got a hoop of your preferred choice , I didn’t want the fake off road look on my x so ended up with the Michelin’s 

• Like 2