Question Front Oil Seal Replacement

Noel Hynes

Noel Hynes

Good evening everyone.

I have been on the forum a couple of times with an ongoing problem with leaking front oil seals.

Yesterday I managed to strip down the fork but having problems with the oil seal. I noticed the way the seal was orientated on the fork I removed and assumed this was the correct way. (this was previously installed by a bike mechanic )...I was just watching a video on You Tube and it looks as though the seal was maybe put in the wrong way- the following link will hopefully clarify my question.

At 6:36/12:20 you can see the seal being put onto the fork- on my bike when I removed it - it was the other way around : You can see the inner ring facing upwards- ??

Could someone advise me the correct way on putting this seal on before I continue.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Noel.

PS Has any members done this job themselves and any comments would be appreciated.

fj_stuart

Noel, It's hard to see in the video but the upper face of the seal will have some markings on it. In my photo "37" indicates the diameter. The lower face has the spring (I have pulled the lip back to expose) You will need something to drive the seal into place. I made one years ago from steel tube and bar.

upper (old seal)

P1330910

lower

P1330916

tool

P1330914

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Johnnie Mototrans

Hi Noel.

Wot Stuart said.

The hollow side of the seal goes downwards.

I did mine without too much hassle.

Just be methodical, dont mix anything up and put the correct amount of oil in each leg.

My seal driver is some PVC wash basin waste pipe from B&Q.

I put the old seal on top of the new one to protect it while I tapped it into place.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Noel Hynes

Hi Stuart/Johnnie- thank you for your kind replies and help.

Stuart- looking at the second picture were you have exposed the circular ring- should that be put in face down or face up. On the one I took out- the writing etc was face down- when I removed the dust seal and clip I could see the numbers as in your photo.

This would be very helpful as I think this could be the problem of the leak- if wrong way around...

Many thanks..

Noel.

Can I attach a photo on this forum- I had troubles previously- and I can send on a photo here.

fj_stuart

The seal should be fitted with the numbers etc facing upwards and the spring side downwards.

To post a photo I upload it to flikr then paste the url from the share option into my post.

• Like 2
Noel Hynes

Thank you Stuart. I went into Victor Devine's yesterday to order a new seal and spoke to a technician who advised the same as yourself.

I will let you know how the re assembly goes.

Many thanks again to everyone.

Noel.

• Like 2
fj_stuart

It's a long time since I bought anything from VD. They used to have the world's grumpiest man at the parts counter! Best of luck with the repair.

Johnnie Mototrans

Now now Stuart I dont think that's quite fair.

The world's grumpiest man served at Europarts in Possilpark.

I doubt that our bearded friend would even make it into my top five.

• Haha 2
listener
9 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

It's a long time since I bought anything from VD. They used to have the world's grumpiest man at the parts counter! Best of luck with the repair.

9 hours ago, Johnnie Mototrans said:

The world's grumpiest man served at Europarts in Possilpark.

I'll see both of you and raise you the guy at Shirlaw's, Aberdeen during the 1990s. :thumbsup:

I went in for a new bolt for the 600 Trannie's bash plate - I don't think they'd properly tightened the bolts at the previous service.

Me: "Can I get a bolt for the left side of a Trannie 600 bash plate, please?

Him: "What's the part number?"

Me: "Errr! I don't know! There's nothing marked on the bolt." (mushroom head hex bolt)

Him: "So how the hell am I supposed to know what you're after?"

Me: "You've got a microfiche, haven't you?"

Him: "Hmmff!"

About ten minutes later I'm presented with said item by said grumpy git. Definitely not "service with a smile"!

I should say that most of the other folks there were much more friendly.

• Haha 2
fj_stuart

My one experience with the grumpy bearded man at VD's was a while ago when I was fixing a CG125 for a friend and needed a part.

Me - "I'm looking for a clutch cable for a CG125".

Guy - (gumpily) - "whit year?, they're different"

Me - "1991" (or whatever)

Guy - (still grumpy) - "ah need the part number".

Me - produces the old cable and reads the number printed on it

Guy - trudges off and gets me the cable.

Does he still work there? - he must be ancient by now. Also this is why I get all my parts on-line.

• Haha 1
Rocker66

Back in the 60s two brothers Tom and Bill Camier both had motorcycle shops in Ashford..Tom sold both British and Japanese  bikes whilst Bill only sold British. One morning on my way to work I lost a bolt out of the front number plate on my Benley 125SS so as Bills shop was next to the entrance of our depot I popped in during my lunch hour to get a new bolt. I was told very abruptly that he didn’t sell bits for Japanese bikes  and despite me explaining that I just wanted an ordinary nut and bolt I was told in no uncertain terms to get out of the shop.

My other big mistake was with Jock Hitchcock a 100% Triumph man who had a shop in Folkestone. On one occasion I went there to buy a bit for my O.I.F. TR6R  and borrowed a spanner from him to fit it. On returning the spanner I jokingly pointed out that the spanner was was marked B.S.A. at which he went mad. From that day on I had to get my mum to collect any bits for me as he totally refused to serve me.

Edited by Rocker66
  • Haha 2
Noel Hynes

Yes Stuart- I remember the grumpy man at Devine's- he had long hair and a beard if my memory serves me well. He retired a few years ago. Imagine if today he was sent on Customer Services training- that would be a scream. He used to work at the old place at Great Western Road.

It reminds me of a great story of a old friend who was a mechanic at a Vauxhall Dealers in Dumbarton (this was many years ago)  One day an Italian guy (customer) phoned him up and said- My cavalier is not running very well- I think it is the carburettor it is not working properly- it is spluttering and very erratic whilst driving- (Mechanic) Please bring it in and we can have a look.

Guess what happened next- about 3 hours this very frustrated and anxious guy appeared and his hands and clothes full of oil/dirt and smelling of petrol.

Yes he removed the carburettor from the car and brought it in- placed it on the counter- he did not realise he was to drive the car in and they would check it in the CAR. I still smile at that story-whether it was true or not- I still laugh.

I must be honest and say the parts guy Harry was excellent- he was very young and full of enthusiasm- and another employee Ian who was also very helpful and courteous and they went out of their way to help me and offer advice. Ian even went to the workshop and spoke to the technician about the correct way to insert the seal etc. Very helpful.

Victor is still there in the big office watching over the operation. 

Noel.

• Like 1
fj_stuart

The last time I got something from Devine's it was a positive experience. A few years ago I was doing the mammoth task of replacing all eight shims on my SV and I found I was one short. The SV uses the same size shims as my CBF to I went to VD. The parts guy said that they didn't stock shims because Hondas never need them (yeah, right) But he went to the workshop and came back with what I was after. And at no cost! I doubt that this would have happened with the old guy.

Edited by fj_stuart
  • Like 1
fj_stuart

Noel came to my place this morning to use my seal driver. It was made for my FJ and luckily it has the same fork diameter (41mm) as the NC. Unluckily the NC's fork sliders are about 2" longer than the FJ and the driver was too short. So out with the angle grinder and MIG welder for some modifications. We got the seal fitted ok and hopefully Noel will be back on the road shortly.

P1340041

• Like 5
listener

A quick scan of that post gave me :

"Noel came to my place this morning ... So out with the angle grinder and MIG welder for some modifications ... hopefully Noel will be back on the road shortly."

The mind boggles at what you could possibly have done to Noel ... :angel::lol:

• Haha 5
Noel Hynes

Well let me tell you- do not worry about the mind boggling- Stuart did a brilliant job- just to put brakes/calliper back on today and hopefully out later for a wee run to try it out..

Stuart - once again many thanks. I would patent that Special Fork Tool- ..

I noticed yesterday I put 500ml fork oil in and there was about 200 ml came out- so leaking badly...Fingers crossed.

Noel.

PS I was diagnosed this morning with PTSD- after my MIG experience yesterday.

• Haha 3
fj_stuart
1 hour ago, Noel Hynes said:

PS I was diagnosed this morning with PTSD- after my MIG experience yesterday.

Noel did his bit as a "human clamp" holding the tool in position while I welded on the new handle.

listener
52 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

Noel did his bit as a "human clamp" holding the tool in position while I welded on the new handle.

So I see! :whistle::lol:

2014094226j.jpg

• Haha 2
Johnnie Mototrans
On 30/08/2022 at 22:35, listener said:

A quick scan of that post gave me :

"Noel came to my place this morning ... So out with the angle grinder and MIG welder for some modifications ... hopefully Noel will be back on the road shortly."

The mind boggles at what you could possibly have done to Noel ... :angel::lol:

Well done Stuart

I am sunning myself in Spain at the moment and had missed Noel's message.

You are starting to make this forum look like the sort of place that people can actually expect to get help.

• 1 month later...
Gringo

This thread and video have suddenly become very relevant to me. My NX750X DCT had it's MOT yesterday. It passed but with an advisory to a 'slight misting' of oil from the right hand fork. A job to be done by myself in the near future.....and before the next MOT. Thank you all.