Nail in tyre

Potatoes

Got home from work today and noticed a nail stuck in my front tyre.  Does the tyre have to be replaced or is it possible for a garage to repair (I am talking about a permanent fix), or will it have to be replaced?

I don't have have a pressure gauge at home so will check how much pressure has been lost at the local ASDA in the morning. I run the Bridgestone Battlax (only replaced the tyre 1000 miles ago!).

Edited by Potatoes
added detail
Grumpy old man

I've had them permanently repaired on the rear, not sure how I feel about the front being repaired 🤔. Whatever be very careful riding it with the nail in, think I'd remove the wheel. 

• Like 1
MatBin

Repair could be possible, depends where the nail has penetrated the tyre, if it's anywhere near the sidewall it's a no go, if it's in the centre it's repairable.

I wouldn't have a problem using a properly repaired tyre, front or back, especially on an NC with its progressive front brake, on a sports bike with twin discs I might be a little more concerned.

Any idea how you picked up a nail on such a new tyre?

When I commuted and used to go down the white line at the lights I often picked up debris, especially with Bridgestone tyres oddly enough, Avons rarely picked up nails.

• Like 1
Andy m

If it's in the tread it's repairable. Your biggest problem will be finding someone who won't take the **** and claim otherwise. Independent bike shops are the best avoid places with fancy shops and sales targets on new tyres. 

I've ridden tens of thousands of miles with supposedly temporary"stop n go" plugs in place. After thousand the repair plug will have totally melded into the original rubber. DIY is pretty easy once you've mastered dismounting the tyre. 

Don't ride with the nail in there, if it goes it'll go quickly. If the bike shops are talking weeks before they'll take a look get an external plug kit, either stop-n-go type or worms. 

Andy 

• Like 4
davebike

I am an independant  but I will not repair front puntures. Very few happon and the risk assoated with a failour is way too great

I have had a front go down fast not easy to cope with! very frightning!

• Thanks 2

Thank you all for the replies. I must have got it while filtering as most of my riding is commuting. 

davebike has really made me think, and I'm not sure I could feel totally comfortable with a repair. 

It is on the tread but more to the side of the tyre. 

Andy m

Your choice, but such concerns only exist in the UK. A correctly repaired tyre is a correctly repaired tyre. Morocco, Spain, the edges of Russia is not full of crashed motorcycles. 

I am so glad I can do my own and not be frightened of lawyers. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Never have and never would repair a front tyre, I had a bike go down straight in front of me, the tyre bead breaks under load if you brake. 

I spent  that day in the hospital with them and the next day riding the bike home with bent forks.

• Like 1
fj_stuart
8 minutes ago, dave said:

Never have and never would repair a front tyre,

As Andy says - your choice. I've installed permanent patch plugs and I think that they are perfectly safe. I find it hard to see how one could fail.

• Like 1

1000 miles... As mentioned above, if NOT near the side wall, and the tire is a hole not a split, and Insides are OK then repairable... proper mushroom fix from the inside

A hole is a hole, a fix is a fix...
Old days was to just stick a tube in the tyre...

• Like 2
MatBin

If you commute into London there's a tyre shop near Elephant & Castle that I have used and would trust my life with them. FWR is the place, spit and sawdust honest place.

NC750 CAN
7 hours ago, dave said:

Never have and never would repair a front tyre, I had a bike go down straight in front of me, the tyre bead breaks under load if you brake. 

I spent  that day in the hospital with them and the next day riding the bike home with bent forks.

I agree 100%.  I’ve plugged  a number of rear punctures without any concerns.  I’ve also had a flat on a front tire at speed, and it was extremely difficult to control.

The front tire is under much more directional pressures than the rear, and affects your bike more so.  My life is worth more than the cost of a new tire.

Edited by NC750 CAN
  • Like 1
count von count

I’ve never had a front tyre puncture (*) but would not hesitate to do a roadside repair with a plug kit to get me (slowly) to the nearest tyre emporium for a proper professional mushroom repair, good for the remaining life of the tyre.

(*) the exception being the day I did my CBT, i.e. first day ever in my entire life on a bike, on the training school’s Yam SR125. Inner-tubed tyre so instant and complete deflation at 40mph, leaving me bucking and weaving on the devil-possessed bike but somehow I stayed on it and brought it to a stop.

The instructor was mightily impressed that I avoided an unscheduled dismount but still recorded my CBT as “incomplete” so I had to return to do it again.

• Like 1

i would reccomend the StopGo repair kit as they are mushroom and not sticky string. l have rode for over a year with a plug no problems. the front only to get you home and at a slow speed. i have ridden with five plugs in the tyre, dont ask. , but all in the mddle of the tread not the sidewall. l carry a electric pump and kit and tyre guage. the NC 750S "tank" was made for this so use it. beats sitting for 2+ hours waiting for the AA then see them just plug, if you lucky. 

• Like 1