Spare key for frunk

vanbobble

I have 2 ignition keys for my bike and don’t really want to carry around the second with me.. was thinking of getting spare key cut for frunk and keep in my jacket inside pocket

My bike had HISS however presumably if I am just using the key for the frunk it doesn’t need programming?

jeremyr62

I did this. Just a dumb spare for the frunk and petrol. I tend to do it with most of my bikes these days as losing the keys can be very expensive.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, vanbobble said:

I have 2 ignition keys for my bike and don’t really want to carry around the second with me.. was thinking of getting spare key cut for frunk and keep in my jacket inside pocket

My bike had HISS however presumably if I am just using the key for the frunk it doesn’t need programming?

you can jusr get the key cut to open the trunk. i have cut one(im a key cutter) as the ignition key as its bit fragile due to its over long lengt.,h?? that way l am not worried if it snaps while opening the trunck or tank. also if you break you transponder ignition key, you can tape the handle (transponder part) to the trunk key and you are good to go. most large locksmiths or keycutters stock the Honda blank minus the transponder its silce number is Hon 58 or HD no is Hon 63FP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Normsthename

I was always having to stop the engine to open the Frunk, it really used to annoy me.

So I got a spare key cut and I cut the Fob off of the key and glued this into a 3D Printed 'knob'

It was in Black Material and if you didn't know about the frunk you would not notice the 'Knob'

I left the key in it when it was empty and if I had anything in there worth nicking I took the Knob with me 😀

I need to get a key cut and a new one made for my 2019 Model

Andy

• Like 1

I’m not sure, but possibly early Nc’s uses different keys? 

My Varadero and Pan Euro used those long ones which were prone to twisting and breaking which may be same as early NC’s?

My 2017 NC uses the better, shorter keys.

For the Pan and Vara I bought spare HISS keys online, got them cut locally, then made a simple wiring harness to reprogram myself. Total cost about £12, but that was a few years ago.

locksmith found a shorter non chipped key for those bikes to fit petrol tank. He cut just one side of key to keep it as strong as poss.

• 11 months later...

I lost all my keys of NC750 s 2016. I bought a new ecm and bought 2 keys and cut them. I also bought several transponder chips and put them in. But my engine is not working. I could not manage to program new chips to start the engine.

Anyone have any idea?

jeremyr62

Youtube has videos on how to make a programming loom and how to connect it up to programme spare transponder keys but this is for when you have a key already. I have done this and it works.

If you have a new ECU and new keys then that's going to be a different procedure. You will need to google it and find someone who has done before. I don't recall anyone on here doing it themselves. A dealer should know too.

Slowboy

Sounds like a dealer job, if only to prevent stolen bikes being reactivated with a changed identity?

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2023 at 08:40, Freeroader said:

Sounds like a dealer job, if only to prevent stolen bikes being reactivated with a changed identity?

The solution in manual is as follows:

When all keys have been lost:
1. Obtain a new ECM/PCM and new key set.
2. Replace the ignition switch with a new one (page 22-24).
3. Replace the ECM/PCM with a new one (page 4-67).
4. Turn the ignition switch ON with a first new key and engine stop switch " ". The HISS indicator comes on for two seconds, then
it blinks four times repeatedly.
• The first key is registered in the ECM/PCM.
• If there is any problem in the registration, the system will enter the diagnostic mode and the indicator will remain for approx. ten
seconds, then it will indicate the diagnostic code (page 23-7).
5. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key.
6. Turn the ignition switch ON with a second new key. The HISS indicator comes on for two seconds, then it blinks four times
repeatedly.
• The second key is registered in the ECM/PCM.
• If there is any problem in the registration, the system will enter the diagnostic mode and the indicator will remain for approx. ten
7. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the second key.
• The system (ECM/PCM) will not enter the normal mode unless the two keys are registered in ECM/PCM.
• The third new key cannot be continuously registered. When it is necessary to register the third key, follow the procedures "When
the key has been lost, or additional key is required" (page 23-3).
8. Check that the engine can be started using all registered keys.
9. Replace the remaining key set parts.

What I do not understand is why does it want me to change the ignition switch? Due to security reasons?

Slowboy
18 minutes ago, metin said:

The solution in manual is as follows:

When all keys have been lost:
1. Obtain a new ECM/PCM and new key set.
2. Replace the ignition switch with a new one (page 22-24).
3. Replace the ECM/PCM with a new one (page 4-67).
4. Turn the ignition switch ON with a first new key and engine stop switch " ". The HISS indicator comes on for two seconds, then
it blinks four times repeatedly.
• The first key is registered in the ECM/PCM.
5. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the first key.
6. Turn the ignition switch ON with a second new key. The HISS indicator comes on for two seconds, then it blinks four times
repeatedly.
• The second key is registered in the ECM/PCM.
7. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the second key.
• The system (ECM/PCM) will not enter the normal mode unless the two keys are registered in ECM/PCM.
• The third new key cannot be continuously registered. When it is necessary to register the third key, follow the procedures "When
the key has been lost, or additional key is required" (page 23-3).
8. Check that the engine can be started using all registered keys.
9. Replace the remaining key set parts.

What I do not understand is why does it want me to change the ignition switch? Due to security reasons?

Because the ignition switch contains the HISS sensor. I suspect, but don’t know for sure, that the “registration” process locks the HISS to the bike.

Again it must be part of a wider security process to prevent scroats giving a new identity to stolen bikes.

There is at least one place that can take you ECU and reprogram it to add HISS cades for their keys 

This is how the theves do it  we had to use them for a customer with a stolen recovered bike that had had this done

I looked and cannot find the card we had I filed it somewhere safe!

Slowboy
22 hours ago, metin said:

So you think I should also buy a hiss antenna? or should I change all the ignition switch system?

I think the problem here is the information that you are looking for is the very information that is incredibly useful to those who would, and do, steal our bikes. I doubt very much you’ll get this information on here because of that.

I think that the onus is now on you to solve your problem. You could take it to a Honda dealer, they can most likely solve your problem but at a cost. 
Good luck in getting it sorted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I lost my first key about 1 year ago. But I did not take it seriously because I thought that the ID card they gave would solve the problem in case I lose all the keys. Then I sadly learned that, the ID can only be used to cut a new key, and it only works mechanically. So I bought a new ECU hoping to solve the problem.  Then I thought the problem is with the transponders on keys, So I ordered new keys. But I am still not hopeful that I can solve the problem.

Thanks anyway for the guidance.