Chain riveting tool recommendations

Steve k

Hi Guys First post on the forum, but have been reading for a while........so I am going to change my chain and sprockets or at least that's my hope, I have never done this before and have been quoted £300 for a Honda set fitted by my local dealer, however I have found a set for my 2017DCT on auction site DID gold x ring chain & JT sprocket kit 17/39 as per handbook £90, so my question is can the members please recommend a chain rivet tool and please comment on the chain and sprocket kit if better around................... many thanks.

jeremyr62

Motion Pro PBR chain tool is a top of the range riveter. If you run a Chain oiler you can go really cheap on the chain, less so on on the sprockets. Doesn’t even have to be O or X ring. The oiler will prolong it’s life regardless. 

16 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

can I please ask advice again? I have used the spring clips before on smaller bikes when I was a lot younger are they safe enough to use on the nc ????

jeremyr62
9 minutes ago, Steve k said:

are they safe enough to use on the nc ????

Do you feel lucky? (said with a Clintesque sneer).

Seriously, I would say based on the experience of peeps on here, that yes, a spring clip should be fine. Personally I wont touch em with a barge pole.

ChrisCB

D.I.D recommends fitting rivet links where possible on their sealed O ring or X ring chains..

• Like 1

thanks guys for all the advice looks like im going to learn how to rivet a chain

• Thanks 1
Grumpy old man
35 minutes ago, Steve k said:

can I please ask advice again? I have used the spring clips before on smaller bikes when I was a lot younger are they safe enough to use on the nc ????

I've used them on the last two chains on my Nc with no problems, when I came to split the last chain after 25000 miles the clip came off easily but the side plate was  shall we say stubborn and the link had still retained the grease which I applied on installation which after 25000 miles was a nice surprise. 

I paint the clip and side plate with  white enamel paint so that it's easy yo identify while just walking towards the bike so easily checked.

In the end it's your choice but I'm happy using them

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
7 minutes ago, Steve k said:

thanks guys for all the advice looks like im going to learn how to rivet a chain

Good luck  let us know how it goes.