Winter spoke protection advice

splke

Having almost destroyed 2 bikes with UK winter use I would very much like to prevent this happening a 3rd time 

My scram (which I might add is bedding in nicely) has spoked flipping wheels, do any of you have a tried and tested way of protecting them for daily winter use? 

I have been told to use vaseline or Wd40 also the af50 stuff kbut apply weekly! 

I was hopi g that there wa some gunk or waxil type substance that I could apply and leave on then remove Come spring? Is there anything out there you know of or do I just have to come to terms with the fact I will need a rim rebuild every 2 yrs? 

jeremyr62

You could try Waxoyl. It comes in clear and black. I have used it over winter. It stays a bit sticky so it will get dirty but if you can put up with that it will protect the alloy or steel underneath. However getting it off in Spring is a real PITA. White spirit works but you have to set aside a morning to do it properly. You can apply it with an aerosol or buy in bulk and use a paint brush. I stopped using it and converted to ACF-50 which works just as well but doesn't persist as well so you have to reapply. Much easier to clean though. If you use Waxoyl on spokes be aware it will creep until the solvent fully evaporates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
fj_stuart

My brother has a 790 Bonnie and he was unhappy with the wheels. The spokes rusted and the chrome flaked off the rims. He got a set of wheels made up with stainless steel spokes and alloy rims. Pricey but nice.

• Like 1
Bostedsprocket

Go on youtube, type in delboys garage ghetto winter protection, He preps a spoked wheeled bonnie for winter, i think the video will help you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

XCP anti corrosion, or acf-50, wash and re apply monthly in winter.

• Thanks 1
Grumpy old man

In the old days I use to use vasoline but I reckon copper grease would do the job I use it on my Nc750x  for sll those shiny bits over winter seems to stay on fine and looks good once wiped off.

• 5 weeks later...