Spark plug length

yellownev

yellownev

I started the 12k service on my Himalayan this morning with a service kit from Hitchcocks. When I cam to gap and replace the new Bosh R6 plus it looked different to the one taken out  ( Bosh R6). See photos. 

I measured them and the 'new one' is over 2mm longer. I've emailed Hitchcocks to see what their view is. But what is the great hive mind's view? I've not used it I've cleaned and gapped the old one as I'm unsure if that 2mm plus will end up interfering with the piston. 

I can't think there should be that tolerance?

IMG_1893.jpeg

fj_stuart

I have no experience of the Himalayan and little of Bosch spark plugs but....

The NGK plug for your bike is CR8E (I think) and your new plug looks like a CPR8E. The "P" indicating projected insulator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Bostedsprocket
1 hour ago, fj_stuart said:

I have no experience of the Himalayan and little of Bosch spark plugs but....

The NGK plug for your bike is CR8E (I think) and your new plug looks like a CPR8E. The "P" indicating projected insulator.

Correct, i wouldn't use this without checking with Royal Enfield first, could just be your bike is on a crossover year and the plug is just a cooler plug, but that 2mm+ would bother me until i knew for sure.

yellownev

A quick and full reply from Hitchcocks ....

What you have received is a projected nose version, these are the same UR5 heat range but is a DC instead of the CC, the D and C denotes the projection of the nose. The idea of the projected nose is that it offers a more efficient combustion. The UR5CC and UR5DC can be interchanged without risk to your Himalayan and we have had good results with these. If you prefer, we can send you the standard version at no cost.

Happy now, I'm a bit more educated and reassured. I'll put it in and see how we go  - thanks for the replies. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have had a few dealings with Hitchcocks back in my RE days, very knowledgeable and very helpful as I think you will now agree.

• Like 3
yellownev
24 minutes ago, Foxy said:

I have had a few dealings with Hitchcocks back in my RE days, very knowledgeable and very helpful as I think you will now agree.

Absolutely…. Proper customer service, good parts catalog, speedy delivery ( sometimes wrapped in newspaper) and excellent customer support.  Fowlers  were the same for Honda iirc. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Foxy said:

+1 here for Hitchcocks as well, great customer service every time I've had a query, ordered the wrong thing or just being a noob head :D

• Like 1