Lifespan Yuasa YTZ12S

pewi2000

What is te average lifespan of the Yuasa YTZ12S (NC700SA)?

My battery is now 9 years old, the first 4 years I used the bike on a daily basis for commuting, the last 5 years only for rides in the summer

I'm using an Optimate III that's plugged in (old but still working)
looking forward to your experiences

Peter

Bostedsprocket

I think the NC is meant to be ytz14s. Either way 9 years out of any battery is very good.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Bostedsprocket said:

I think the NC is meant to be ytz14s. Either way 9 years out of any battery is very good.

According to the service manual a YTZ12s (the NC750 has a YTZ14S)

• Like 1
Steve Case

9 years is good, i generally get 4 or 5 years as i cannot put batteries on a charger without removal but they are in constant use except for holidays.

fj_stuart

My 2006 SV @ 54k miles has the battery (Yuasa, I think) that it rolled out of the factory with. It isn't used much in winter but this still seems weird. Five years is more typical.

cartejo5

In my experience 5 is normal 7-8 years if your lucky. 

Stuart you do realise you’ve awoken the battery fairies, I would order one sharpish. :D

• Haha 1
fj_stuart
1 hour ago, cartejo5 said:

Stuart you do realise you’ve awoken the battery fairies, I would order one sharpish. 

Yes I know that I'm asking for trouble. Still the SV seems like an easy bike to bump start. There is a battery that's been running since 1840 at Oxford University so maybe I can beat that.

• Like 1

I've just put a new Varta YB9 battery on my scooter, the previous one lasted just over 1 year (two summers)

steelhorseuk

Hi Peter,

Mines over 10 years now and still reading 12.85Vdc at idle (with a Datatool alarm armed) and 14.30Vdc at tick-over. 

Ditto. Mine is also attached to the Optimate conditioner for three hours during the night from 0200 am - 0500 am

(Night rate electricity)

The Optimate is doing its job well!     

• Like 3
fred_jb

I recently put a YTZ14S from Sportsbikeshop in my Tiger 660, which from what I could see is actually the standard battery in later models of the NC750.  Not that there was anything wrong with the existing battery, a YTX9-BS, but that was only 8 Ah and the new one is nearly 12 Ah while being almost the same in dimensions but just a tad taller, so it fitted OK.  I was finding that the 8 Ah battery was running down very quickly while parked in the garage, with Triumph alarm and BikeTrac tracker activated.  This was resulting in me getting low battery warnings from the tracker after only a few days.  So far the new one seems a lot better.  There is a TTZ14S which is a bit cheaper, but on further investigation I found that it had a very restictive mounting angle spec so unless mounted virtually upright, which is not the case on my bike, is not suitable for most bikes.

I also have a Lithium battery of the same physical form factor from my previous bike, but although much lighter is only around 4 Ah.  Both that and the YTX9-BS are available free to any NC forum member, rather than see them languishing in my garage, but only if collected - trying to post batteries is almost impossible these days.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1