Working on a clutch replacement, a few things noticed

zalex

Hi guys

Recently got my NC750X. It's 2018, 9000 on the clock. I am not the first owner.
So the clutch started slipping recently. I took it apart today and noticed a few things that I would like get your opinion on. The bottom friction plate was damaged and out of spec, others were within spec.
Some steel discs have blue tint.

Mostly I'm wondering about this pressure plate.

What do you think about this discolouration?

And this tiny bump?

PXL-20221021-214022903.jpg

PXL-20221021-213832578.jpg

Beerbelly

I'm guessing the bump is for re assembly realignment. Dont know about the colour but that basket surface looks well ropey. Is it a cable operated clutch on the NC? I remember having a slipping clutch on a Yamaha caused by the cable not being adjusted correctly. Did a previous owner use the right oil in it before you had it? Car oil can cause slipping.

Edited by Beerbelly
jeremyr62

I wouldn't worry about the colour. Bronzing suggests it might have got a bit hot, but plenty of engines have the same and are fine. I had a very low miles VF500 engine that looked like it spent time on a beach inside, but it was absolutely tip top. 9K miles is not a lot, so either the PO was cack handed and rode around covering the clutch and slipping it, overheating it (blue tint), or someone has used energy conserving car oil.

Thanks. Would you try to remove that varnish looking like bronzing?
I've tried carb cleaner, but it's not really coming off.

On the second picture the surface is not that smooth. I can feel it with my finger. I might sand it down with grit 1500-2000. 

jeremyr62
1 hour ago, zalex said:

Thanks. Would you try to remove that varnish looking like bronzing?
I've tried carb cleaner, but it's not really coming off.

I wouldn't bother. It won't affect the engine at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming yours is not DCT? Looks knackered and not worth the grinding down which may in fact make things worse. Why not get a new pressure plate. OEM P/N 22350MS6922 £49.87 from Honda UK but you'll prob be able to source a non OEM quality part for less. Google! The entire clutch assembly from Honda is £651 but I've seen non OEM on sale for much less. If you don't want to go the whole hog, a clutch kit of plates is around £46, bearing £8, washer kit £10 (some kits have all three). So if your baskets are ok and it's just that pressure plate that's bad, then get a kit + a new plate. (Don't put the old plates in now that you've got the clutch disassembled!).

Edited by setdetnet
  • 2 weeks later...

As as for the slipping clutch at that mileage, I've read they cannot take too much abuse before failing. One person on here a while ago tried to tow a car and burned his clutch out..So its feasible that it was abused when it was younger.