NC750X DCT 2020 Breather Tube cleaning

voxy53

Hi All

I am doing a 24 month service on my 2020 NC750X and wish to clean the crankcase breather which I have found near the rad on the left hand side of the bike

It's attached to the engine (for storage presumably) with a small bracket and a rubber flap near the end of the tube with the bung in it

Try as I might I can't remove the end from the engine to be able to take out the bung and empty any contents

The rubber flap has a slit down the middle 

Could anyone give me a clue as to how to detach the tube from the engine

Thanks in advance

voxy53

steelhorseuk

The one on my NC is tucked in fairly solidly but it can be tempted out for a regular emptying easily (mostly a waste of time TBH) 

If you have an extended reach grabber (you know the tool, it has a grappling hook on the end and a plunger on the top)

With something like that you can tease it out towards you at the 'bung' end.

Please bear in mind though that my bike is the NC700SA version so it may be different. 

Perhaps later versions are clipped/held in 

Someone on here with a late model will be able to advise for sure. 

Do you need to detach the tube from the engine? 
I’m pretty sure when I did mine earlier this year, I just squeezed the sides of the tube together near the end of the tube, thereby opening the slit in the rubber flap, allowing any oil residue to drain out. I “may” (can’t remember) have removed the bung from the end of the tube to drain it quicker? 🤗 

However, I also did the valve clearances at the same time, so I might have done this whilst the radiator was dropped forward out of the way, allowing easier access. 

Happy to be corrected by someone more knowledgable than I, but IIRC it just needs emptying, to allow it to work as intended? If it’s full / blocked, it won’t. 
Hope that helps? 

Edited by Skidt
  • Like 1
steelhorseuk

I just pull the tube toward me, undo the 'bung' retaining clip, remove the bung to empty the tube and reverse the process. Job done in 5 minutes usually. 

To be honest, there is rarely anything to drain out.

Thanks for you replies

The end of the tube where the bung is faces upwards so the end needs to be detached to drain the tube 

I will try later and see what happens

voxy53

Empty_Ten

Can’t help with detaching it from the engine as I’ve never done it.  

However, if it’s just wanting to drain the contents - you should be able to manipulate the tube and bung to face downwards (whilst in situ) so that the contents (if any) drain out

I’ve only done it twice in near 32,000 miles and there wasn’t much to drain out either time.

Hi Everyone

I am an idiot

I have just had another look and have found the drain pipe which is sitting vertically on the left hand side of the bike just behind the rad

It is a clear plastic tube with a metal clip at the end which holds the bung on

I squeezed the clip to move it up the tube and removed the bung

Nothing came out !!

The bike has done 5000 miles so I am pleased

Thanks again for all your replies

Regards

voxy53

• Thanks 1

Glad you got it sorted. 👍

• Like 1