Clean+spray rear caliper

setdetnet

The rear calliper is a bit shoddy aesthetically and the brake line - the metal bit (don't know what it's called) that goes into the caliper - is pitted and rusty. 

Does anyone have a guide on how I go about removing it, cleaning, spraying/painting and sorting out the pitted metal fittings.

Andy m

The Banjo bolt?

It undoes,  brake fluid will leak out (so you need to wrap anything painted near by in cling film) and then you can remove it. Repeat at the ABS modulator end.

I wouldn't bother cleaning up, just fit a new set of hoses. You can bling up with braided coverings if you wanted to. Go stainless if you do. While controlling hose expansion will make a barely measurable difference (buyers will justify but computers not confirm), not having to repeat the process for 5 years+ is a bonus.

Then however you will need to re-fill and bleed the system. You will almost certainly need a vacuum bleeder to get all the air out. You will need a lot of patience to bleed an ABS modulator with a jam jar. Key the ignition a few times while bleeding to stirr it.

Andy 

Thanks for that but, no, I just want to clean the steel not replace the braking system.

It's white rust on steel parts, possibly zinc-galvanised parts. They spoil what is an otherwise lovely looking bike. I've seen them cleaned up in workshops and they said use a stiff metal brush to get rid of the white powdery rust then rub aluminium paint over the metal. Or buy new parts - bit excessive. 

Was wondering what members thought.

EDIT:

Answered my own question - wire wool dipped in 3-in-1 oil, dry, then a bit of alu paint in a cloth and give the metal a rub and wipe off excess. Allow to dry.

Edited by setdetnet