Do I need to adjust rear suspension (2022 NC750X DCT)?

Georgio

I bought my bike about a month ago, this is my first one and I do not know how the rear suspension should work. I am not sure if mine is properly set up according to my weight.

When I am riding over bumps (regular public roads in Dallas, TX) sometimes I get thrown up under the seat. I have to stand on the pegs if I want to avoid it. I am not sure if the suspension should work like that or I need to adjust it.

Most likely my bike has the default suspension setting (3), my weight is ~70Kg + ~10Kg riding gears + ~10Kg crash bars and some stuff (~90Kg or ~200lbs of additional weight on the bike). Should I make it softer or harder, is there any instruction on how to choose proper rear suspension settings?

jeremyr62

If the bike is new then there will not be anything wrong with it. Being thrown out of the seat (on rebound) can sometimes mean you have no static sag but if the preload hasn't been touched then you should have static sag. Try lifting the back of the bike up. If you can feel it give a little at the top of the shock stoke you have static sag. It does sound like you are loading the bike up so you could also be hitting the bump stop on the shock and using all the available rear suspension travel. You can only adjust the preload on the OE shock so you might as well try either measuring your static and rider sag and setting the preload accordingly, or just increase it to increase the rider height and see if it makes a positive difference.

preload hasn't been touched then you should have static sag.

Preload hasn't been touched, I am sure I do have static sag.

It does sound like you are loading the bike up so you could also be hitting the bump stop on the shock

Probably, so the right thing to do is to increase the preload (make the suspension harder)?

jeremyr62

Adding preload just increases the ride height. Nothing can make the suspension stiffer except a stiffer spring or new shock. If you had adjustable compression damping you could slow down the compression when you hit a bump but you don't have this. I would definitely try increasing the preload. The unfortunate side effect of this is to reduce or remove entirely your static sag, but it might be the lesser of two evils. If you still find the ride poor, then I would invest in a better shock, sprung for your weight.

This is what I did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some previous owner of my bike had lowered the rear suspension with those dog bone things, this made it extremely uncomfortable for me, the rear suspension just felt like it wasn't doing anything. I had it changed back to the stock dog bones which made it much better. Might be worth checking. This also explained why the headlight was dazzling the low flying aircraft!

On 10/11/2022 at 04:54, Georgio said:

I bought my bike about a month ago, this is my first one and I do not know how the rear suspension should work. I am not sure if mine is properly set up according to my weight.

When I am riding over bumps (regular public roads in Dallas, TX) sometimes I get thrown up under the seat. I have to stand on the pegs if I want to avoid it. I am not sure if the suspension should work like that or I need to adjust it.

Most likely my bike has the default suspension setting (3), my weight is ~70Kg + ~10Kg riding gears + ~10Kg crash bars and some stuff (~90Kg or ~200lbs of additional weight on the bike). Should I make it softer or harder, is there any instruction on how to choose proper rear suspension settings?

If your bike is a 2021 or 2022 model it will have the same rear suspension unit as mine.  i.e. 2022

The pre-load adjuster has 7 settings.  I bought it new and found that it was set to maximum pre-load!  I often have my riding on the pillion so I have mine set on number 4 and find that that is not too bad on fairly smooth roads but it a bit harsh on sharp bumps.  You should  try a different setting up/down and see if there is any improvement. There is a "C" spanner in the toolkit to alter the  pre-load.  Access is a bit awkward.

suspension adjust001.jpg

• Like 1