Coolant change, OAT

Trumpet

Just changed the coolant after four years of use and 8000 miles, Halfords OAT silicate free. It has come out very rusty and cloudy looking. It evidently has not lasted well. I did a full flush before I put it in four years ago. On closer inspection, Halfords claim, "Five year life" in one ad, then, "Up to five years life" somewhere else. Beware, mine hasn't lasted !

• Thanks 1
poldark

So I'm now embarrassed to think I've never changed the coolant and it's 4.5 years old, though sharing the load with other bikes only at 15k miles.

So what should I be using, clearly not Halfords but would appreciate solid recommendations please.

P.S. Apologies for thread hijack, but it is on topic.

Edited by poldark
fj_stuart

I don't know if this will make you feel better but this is the coolant out of my SV650 after 3 years/18k miles. Looking very much like Heinz cream of tomato soup. That said it was kind of like that on the way in.

P1340157

P1340173

• Like 2
Slowboy
38 minutes ago, poldark said:

So I'm now embarrassed to think I've never changed the coolant and it's 4.5 years old, though sharing the load with other bikes only at 15k miles.

So what should I be using, clearly not Halfords but would appreciate solid recommendations please.

P.S. Apologies for thread hijack, but it is on topic.

Halfords is fine if it meets the spec.😁

• Like 1

The point is Don't expect Halfords OAT to last five years. Actually. it doesnt look too bad after three years.. but the point is that the OAT technolgy bit doesnt really give it much extra life. Standard Coolant is meant to be changed every two years and can be quite a bit cheaper, as long as you get the correct  Silicate free stuff.

listener

OAT?

It might help stop the coolant freezing but does it not block the radiator? :devil:

LN_075216_BP_11.jpg

• Haha 1

Keeps you warm in winter though

• Like 1
steelhorseuk
15 hours ago, Freeroader said:

Halfords is fine if it meets the spec.😁

Totally agree and yes, it does meet the spec.

OAT - High quality ethylene glycol antifreeze containing silicate-free corrosion inhibitors.

I use it and change every four years.

• Like 1
Grumpy old man

I use Halfords OAT but change it everytime I do the valves which tends to be every 18 months

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, poldark said:

https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/254938667443

So does the panel recommend this one?

Good products from Smith & Allen I have used their oils for years, Bike & Car.

That antifreeze is concentrated and half the price of the Halfords version, I would have no concerns about it's quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Steve Case

I changed to to OAT pink/orange from the honda blue non OAT but i've realised i need to pop the cam cover every 2 years so i could have stayed with the non oat as long as its has no silicates or the other additive which i cannot remember.

• 1 month later...
poldark

Appreciate it if someone can give me comfort that this is suitable for an NC (I think it is but want to be certain) - cheers 🍺

MANNOL 5L Coolant Antifreeze G12+ RED Ready Mixed -30°C / +125 German Hi Spec

https://amzn.eu/d/2QesE94

Slowboy
44 minutes ago, poldark said:

Appreciate it if someone can give me comfort that this is suitable for an NC (I think it is but want to be certain) - cheers 🍺

MANNOL 5L Coolant Antifreeze G12+ RED Ready Mixed -30°C / +125 German Hi Spec

https://amzn.eu/d/2QesE94

It’s what I used to use on mine and on a couple of others I used to service for mates. I owned mine for 6 years and 50 odd K miles with no issues. Good gear.

• Thanks 1