Help Reinstalling forks

setdetnet

So how far to the upper triple clamp does each fork go. I've seen videos recommending getting the base of the top nut just cleared , but that's subjective isn't it and what if the two are not 100% at the same height.

I'd of thought there would be notches or something with tactile feedback so that you can tell it's in the right location.

Anyone insightful shed any light on this please?

Andy m

Straight edge over the stanction face (blanking plug removed) onto the top edge of the triple clamp, no daylight visible under it, equates to a flatness of about a hundredth of an inch which is quite sufficient.

They don't normally provide any markings. Better designs overlap the blanking plug onto the clamp face. You set the stanction low and the plug draws it up the last eighth or so.

If dropping the forks through to lower the bike, put a socket on the triple clamp face and lay the straight edge on that. The number doesn't matter only that both sides are the same.

Andy 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Straight edge over the stanction face (blanking plug removed) onto the top edge of the triple clamp, no daylight visible under it, equates to a flatness of about a hundredth of an inch which is quite sufficient.

They don't normally provide any markings. Better designs overlap the blanking plug onto the clamp face. You set the stanction low and the plug draws it up the last eighth or so.

If dropping the forks through to lower the bike, put a socket on the triple clamp face and lay the straight edge on that. The number doesn't matter only that both sides are the same.

Andy 

Thanks mate 

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about...

Top over 

Stantion face

Blanking plug 

Top edge 

Wow, I was just planning a fork oil change and taking them off is easy but was just checking the install., All before I conduct the change.

Clearly I'm an idiot and shouldnt be attempting this operation 

Edited by setdetnet
13 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

If you do try it there's a neat tip on this page about getting the position of each fork leg at the same height.

https://vfrworld.com/tex_vfr/tech/forkheight.htm

I may progress to the science one day thanks for that.

As it is. I just want to simply and very simply push the forks back up and make sure they are installed in the same location they came from...or to be more accurate I suppose, the correct location.

Can't be this hard surely ? I don't wish to nag or be a pain , and so will Google and YouTube... Just thought this was a good place to ask. Sorry.

Edited by setdetnet

Found it .. 

Easy...

Set the fork height in the upper clamp, and then tighten the pinch bolts in stages to the proper torque. If you're not convinced that the heights are equal, slip the axle into place. If it doesn't glide smoothly through the forks, one leg is higher than the other, so readjust them until the axle slides through them with little or no effort.

So simple. 😁

Slowboy
5 minutes ago, setdetnet said:

Found it .. 

Easy...

Set the fork height in the upper clamp, and then tighten the pinch bolts in stages to the proper torque. If you're not convinced that the heights are equal, slip the axle into place. If it doesn't glide smoothly through the forks, one leg is higher than the other, so readjust them until the axle slides through them with little or no effort.

So simple. 😁

Unless your axles bent….😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 3
outrunner

If you had looked at the fork position before removal then unless your eyesight is like Mr Magoo you should be able to reposition them correctly. The advice about using the axle is also a great guide.

Andy.

4 minutes ago, outrunner said:

If you had looked at the fork position before removal then unless your eyesight is like Mr Magoo you should be able to reposition them correctly. The advice about using the axle is also a great guide.

Andy.

Ah ha 

Common sense again 

Unlike me, no, I didn't look. Next time I'll mark them. For now, a smooth axle insert and run should do.... God that's something to tell the missus after a Saturday night out 😛😅

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

i put the forks back in loosely and put the axel in between the legs loosely to get them in line. Then if you look at the top of the fork tube you can see where the top fork bolt cover screws in - i line the top of the fork tub (excluding the height of the fork cap) lined uo with the top face or the triple clamp and 3/4 tighten the top pinchbolts, then i tighten the bottom pinch bolts and them fully tighten the top pinch bolts. The top pinch bolts can be hard to get at with a hex socket, but machine mart sell a set of ultra low profile hex sockets cheaply and I use those