2012 NC700S unused for 3 years outside. Ignition barrel won't turn.

NSXED

Hi all,

I'm trying to get this NC700S which we own up and running again.  It lives outside, mostly out of the sun and hasn't been used for about 3 years.

I can't get the ignition barrel to turn - Tried several lubricants, keys are fine, tried the unused spare also.  The key moves in and out with ease and the spring is free.  Handlebars turn several degrees within the steering lock.

Any ideas?

Thanks

ChrisCB

Have you tried gently warming the switch with a hair dryer or heat gun?

• Like 2

My only thought is that the steering lock part of the ignition is stuck, its usually a plunger that goes into the lower part of the fork tree. From your description it seems the key tumbers are working ok, and its the stuck plunger preventing you turning the key.

Edited by Trumpet
spelling
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies.

I've not tried heating it.

I can push the key down against the resistance of the spring/plunger? with no trouble (bounce it up and down).  Does this still mean it could be to do with the steering lock?

jeremyr62

I'd go with the ignition lock pin sticking out due to corrosion. Try getting access to it and squirt it with WD40.

• Like 3
Slowboy
On 12/11/2022 at 17:19, jeremyr62 said:

I'd go with the ignition lock pin sticking out due to corrosion. Try getting access to it and squirt it with WD40.

I’d try Halfords Shock and Unlock spray for rusty fasteners.

Edited by Freeroader
  • Like 1
jeremyr62
3 minutes ago, Freeroader said:

I’d try Halfords Shock and Unlock spray for rusty fasteners.

Can you still get that? Or has it gone the in the way of paraquat, dichloromethane paint stripper, creosote...

Slowboy
51 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

Can you still get that? Or has it gone the in the way of paraquat, dichloromethane paint stripper, creosote...

Dunno, bought a few tins for a project, still have one left 😎😁

MikeBike
On 12/11/2022 at 14:16, NSXED said:

Hi all,

I'm trying to get this NC700S which we own up and running again.  It lives outside, mostly out of the sun and hasn't been used for about 3 years.

I can't get the ignition barrel to turn - Tried several lubricants, keys are fine, tried the unused spare also.  The key moves in and out with ease and the spring is free.  Handlebars turn several degrees within the steering lock.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I'd get a key cut for doing the freeing as the originals weren't very strong and cases of them breaking off in the lock. You can then put more pressure on it when wiggling it. Penetrating oil, WD40. Wiggle the bars too to take the pressure off the steering lock as you try to free it.

• Like 1
On 12/11/2022 at 17:19, jeremyr62 said:

Is this something external to the barrel? So not squirting WD40 where the key goes in this instance?

7 hours ago, MikeBike said:

I'd get a key cut for doing the freeing as the originals weren't very strong and cases of them breaking off in the lock. You can then put more pressure on it when wiggling it. Penetrating oil, WD40. Wiggle the bars too to take the pressure off the steering lock as you try to free it.

Good idea.  I'll get a strong one cut.

jeremyr62
1 hour ago, NSXED said:

Is this something external to the barrel? So not squirting WD40 where the key goes in this instance?

Dunno the exact configuration of how the lock works but there has to be some kind of mechanical interaction between the lock and the steering triple tree. I will google it and see if I can find a description/picture.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000814804377.html

I think that shows the pin. 

How you get access is another question. Flood the lock with penetrating fluid is all I can suggest and wiggle vigorously with your new key.

Edited by jeremyr62
Defender

I tend to use either Plus Gas or diesel fuel/oil, they're both good free flowing lubricant and frees off many/most things, so try it and be a bit patient and let it soak in for a while. overnight etc?

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Zalman said:

I didn't follow everything, but... have you push the key down ? 

Yes it pushes down easily and I try to turn it while wiggling the handlebars