Removal of rear side panel on 2021 NC750X

cleansideup

cleansideup

I'm trying to remove the rear (left) side panel, the one below the front part of the seat. It has a couple of the silly Honda clips at the top under the seat - no probs - but then has two large hex sockets at the bottom. The back of them is inaccessible so I assumed they were screwed into a threaded fixed socket. But when I turn them (no effort required), nothing loosens, they just turn. Note the bodywork is quite different from the older models. If I could work out how to attach a photo of it I would!

Andy m

Images are best done via https://postimages.org/ post the direct link.

The bolts are probably going into a Z shaped body clip/captive nut

s-l500.jpg

How best to describe them? Let's try #$%@

The threads are pressed so deform on assembly. They are monkey metal so fur up. Once seized they break and become un-captive nuts ☹

If this happens you need to get a pair of grips on the no-longer clipped bit from the back.

Andy 

Here you go @cleansideup a couple of photos that may help. These are of the right-hand side panel but are mirror image of the left, this whole panel comes off as one piece, once you have removed the two push pins below the seat you simply pull the panel off from the top. There are seven bell ended lugs that are a push fit into rubber gromets and a plastic ring that locates down onto a pin at the bottom. What looks like allen key bolts on the outside are just decorative.

PXL_20221112_154826491.jpg.e23b9e5f85b636856a8bd2d8e49a5be6.jpg

PXL_20221112_154842684.jpg.63f3505903cbb22f31708ff0ab1c0df0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Here is a picture of the left side with panel off, you can see the bottom locating pin above the side stand pivot and below the chain, the panel needs lifting off this once the other fixings are free. You have to pull quite hard to free the push fixings and I used some tyre soap to make putting them back easier. 

PXL_20221030_130217491 (1).jpg

• Thanks 1
cleansideup

Brilliant! I'm always nervous about just tugging at bodywork parts without being positive they are meant to be tugged off! Many thanks Steve

• Like 1
cleansideup

Also thanks Andy for the photo posting advice. Yes those z-clips are to be found on old cars as well, where they are even more prone to rusting up completely...............

listener
On 20/11/2022 at 13:55, Andy m said:

The bolts are probably going into a Z shaped body clip/captive nut

Good old panel nuts (aka chimney nuts).

Still, better than extruded panel nuts (basically a sh*t single thread).

215635001-(p).jpg

• 2 months later...

hello form mainland europe - U guys just relly helped out .  I have two bikes here - the very first integra 2012 and the "new" 2021 750x - think the body work updated alot  -  not so fragile as it is on integra bike -  have u got any idea how many time I broke those  shit like prones on side panels / alle the hassle with finding someopne who could  ? these  here on new bike look much sturdier .  

...enough with bla bla - currently im busy with  changing the spring on rear suspension into that purple  hyperpro miracle  .  U really helped with that pic above  . I will update u about the work if interested 

cheers again 

• Like 4