Does the 2014 NC750SD have a diagnostic port?

TonyArms

Hi. I have searched this forum (and others) for an answer to this question. My recently bought 2014 NC750X does not appear to have the red plug in the battery compartment and the parts list on Fowlers just lists the wiring harness and does not indicate where on the harness the socket might be.

My reason for asking is that I have an OBDlink LX tool (that I bought specifically to reset the 'maintenance required' notice displayed on a BMW after doing my own servicing) and would like to see what information the Honda has to offer. At this time it is just curiosity but the bike has done 36k miles and I'd like to be prepared for when I get a component failure, probably in the not too distant future.

Having read the useful information provided by forum members I was convinced the bike does have a port and was ready to order a conversion cable to the OBD standard when I thought it might be a good idea to check the whereabouts of the diagnostic port.

Thanks, Tony

You will find it above the fuse block next to the battery. It sits in a steel "housing", so is not immediately obvious. It is a four pin plug and thus, you may need an adaptor to fit you obd reader.

• Like 4

Hi. I found the plug. It sits behind a plastic bar above the battery, plugged into the plastic housing indicated by the green arrow in the picture. The housing has one small tab on the top surface that has to be bent up so that the red plug can be withdrawn -which was quite fiddly as there is not much to grip on.

image.png.4764a90ea4e23536f8240067842b3fc7.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Follow up:

I connected up two different makes of OBD reader and they both failed to communicate with the bikes ECU. They cycled through the five different ISO protocols for OBD using multiple different baud rates with no luck.

I have to conclude that pre 2016 models use a proprietary communications protocol that is not ISO standard.

Does anyone know of Windows or Linux software that uses the older Honda protocols?

Alternatively, the ECU does use an ISO protocol and the conversion cable is not wired appropriately - is that a possibility?

Edited by TonyArms
added alternaive hypothesis.
  • 3 weeks later...
Xactly

It is my understanding that OBD 2 compliance became compulsory for motorcycles when Euro IV regs came into force. Prior to that, manufacturers were free to use proprietary code reading standards. I know that Triumph used OBD 2 prior to Euro IV. I’m afraid I don’t know about Honda. My NC750X is post Euro IV.

I have the Healtech OBD HO1 tool which I use on my 2014 Crosstourer and 2017 Integra. It has been useful a couple of times. It located a fault after my son in law was too keen with a pressure washer. Only works with the Engine side of the ECU though, not the DCT. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SCC. Thank you for your offer of assistance. Currently there is no issue with the bike - I am just curious about what diagnostic data is available and to prepare for the day when the warning light comes on! If/when that happens I will probably fork out for the Healtech reader.

Following SCC's lead, I live in Tetbury and would be willing to offer any technical help that a forum member might need.

Xactly, thank you for confirming my suspicion that the 2014 models use a proprietary protocol.

• Like 1