2013 Honda NC 700X DCT Gear "Shifting error"

Lonesome Rider

Lonesome Rider

Hello, everybody, I have a Honda 2013 NC 700 X DCT, and I have a Gear shifting problem, I was advised to change the gear shifting motor and the RPM sensor, however, I already did that and it didn't solve the problem..! Can anybody help for advice I am ready to answer any questions about the sequence of the problem until now..
The problem still exists, and the current symptoms are that the bike accepts the shift of the first gear, and as soon as it shifts to the second gear, the gearbox disconnects the shift sequence and continues on the first gear.
About the indications in the dashboard, sometimes it flashes long L later or short L letter, however when the gearbox stop shifting it just continue flashing with a dash ( - ) sign.
Can anyone help or suggest solutions to this problem?
Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Someone will be along shortly, I'm sure, to give advice. From what I've read on here from others with DCT problems and lot of errors are a result of a defective / low voltage battery. Maybe worth checking that in the first instant. Good luck.

• Like 1
Lonesome Rider

Thank you Gringo,
I really wish to hear from everybody who can help.. I've been in this dilemma since  May 22,  believe it or not.. and let me tell you that I already changed the battery and even I got original stock one, but I'm not sure that it's 100% OK! even it was brand new!! but here in my country it's a little bit complicated market concerning finding and getting the genuine and original spare parts, so when we tested it, it didn't give us really ideal readings.. But this is the available! and the best we can get!

Lonesome Rider

And by the way let me explain to you the sequence of what happened from the beginning, actually there wear no major repair before this incident of gear transmission error, what happened that when this error occurred, we started to check what happened, the first thing we found was the broken shift pin, we replaced it and we thought it will solve the problem, which hasn't, so we started to look on the internet searching for what we should do, then we thought according to what we read about such problem and also what we ware advised by several local technicians in the field that it would be the gear shift motor or/and the TR Sensor (Transmission Range Sensor) which I mistakenly called "RPM sensor".. Sorry, I'm not that professional or enough qualified, so I may be mistaken about some of the names or expressions, when it comes to electrical or mechanical issues.
However, I immediately sent for both and actually got them from "Partzilla" in the states as well.. And that was the second major repair trial happened.. and also as I mentioned that didn't solve the problem.
It's also important to inform you that during all this process my mechanic started to look and check over several mechanical parts and make sure that there is nothing wrong with it, as he explained, I think that the clutch group and and it's components, also the small bumps responsible for oil supply and the Gear drum are all also in good condition.
also throughout this repair trial process.
It worth to be mentioned that during the process of trying to repair, we put the bike on several fault detection devices, and none of them identified a specific malfunction, but let me say that none of these devices available in the private repair workshops here have what I consider a specialized device for the model of the bike specifically, but I think it is general and non-specialized error detection devices.

Lonesome Rider

Let me also tell you that once in a while, something weird happen, and it functions totally normal, and shifts normally from 1 to 6, and this happens and then fails again! 
It happened once normally after just restarting the engine, and another time after restarting and applaing the dashboard reset protocol, third time was after long time parking and the last time I remember was 2 days ago after long time parking then washing the bike then starting and driving out from the garage.. 
All this times, after driving for 5 to 6 km, when turn off and restart again it malfunctions once again!

Slowboy

There’s been a few instances similar to what you describe reported on here @Lonesome Rider and they all seem to have one of two solutions. The shift motor is weak and needed replacement (you can test these by holding the shaft in your hand (stop giggling at the back there) and energising it, if you can stop it turning, it needs cleaning or replacement)

the other is the Shift pin which can shear on the earlier bikes and will need to be replaced by the updated one from Honda. I couldn’t find a YouTube video of that, but there are a few on here that have had to do it. 

Edited by Freeroader
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
poldark

But isn't it odd that it's intermittent and often after periods of sitting unused??

I'd still wonder about the battery, even if it's been replaced, i know some non-OEM are quoted the same model reference but are actually lower CCA rating - just a thought......

• Thanks 1
Lonesome Rider

Freeroader
Thank you
both issues were attended starting with shift pin which found broken and replace, then ,the shift motor was  replaced, also so the RPM sensor was replaced and the problem still existing!

• Thanks 1
Slowboy

@Lonesome Rider, thanks for the feed back.

After doing all that, If it was my bike I’d check the multiplex connector behind the instrument cluster for corrosion, I think others on here have had unusual errors related to that, after that I’d work my way through all the other connections on the gear shift systems for the same and clean them up with switch cleaner and put some dielectric grease in them to protect the contacts.

After that I’ve run out of ideas😂 I’m sure some others will have some relevant experiences to add.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Lonesome Rider

@Freeroader, Thank you for trying to help.
Sorry for late reply..
Mentioning the dashboard and the possibility that it has an electrical short circuit or something, I would like to tell you something strange that happens after it has been parked for a long time in the garage, then washed and battery jumper started, it runs normally and the error disappears! 
This may indicate that something is happening as a result of moisture, which is causing an effect on the electrical connections, as a result of the absence of the necessary insulation, for example, on one of the connections..
However, I will check that as soon as possible and of course reply to you..
I wish it will be positive reply..
Thank you any way..

Edited by Lonesome Rider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 19/12/2022 at 08:40, Freeroader said:

@Lonesome Rider, thanks for the feed back.

After doing all that, If it was my bike I’d check the multiplex connector behind the instrument cluster for corrosion, I think others on here have had unusual errors related to that, after that I’d work my way through all the other connections on the gear shift systems for the same and clean them up with switch cleaner and put some dielectric grease in them to protect the contacts.

After that I’ve run out of ideas😂 I’m sure some others will have some relevant experiences to add.

I agree that if the fault is intermittent the problem may well be due to  a poor electrical connection.  Your bike is nearly 10 years old so there is a good chance that one or more connections may be corroded.

Also check the voltage with the engine running. The voltage should be high enough to operate everything unless you have a regulator problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Integrator

On that happy note, :) I could add.. after a lot (A LOT) of gremlin fighting in a period between 70-100.000 miles (a loong story for another day)

I’ve after that been able to keep them in arms length just to ensure these few points - wich also is my suggestion to do before spending tons of money on parts.

1) most importantly, the voltage idling should be no less than 14,0 volt.. preferably 14,3 in flight (when driving).. the gear motor drains a lot of power through gears. (Long story short!)

2) every October I run through a cleaning procedure in the following connections, marked in red down below.

- Check and Shuffle the fuses in the fuse box after a shot of electric connection cleaner, especially the 7,5 fuses are

responsible for some of the gear and neutral sensors. ( sounds silly, I know, - but it works)

- next - open the marked connections, give them a shot too, especially the gear motor connector, the neutral

sensor connector, the one beside it (can’t remember it’s name) and the three gear sensor connections! 
   -  Check the PCM’s grey and black connector is dry and clean inside, no legs is discoloured!! (Copper oxidation or black!)

a shot of contact cleaner, reassemble.

A test of the gear motor is easy to do, but (there’s always a ‘but’ !) mine worked fine both ways, (I thought!) the fault was only revealed when my work shop found out it had lost actual power spinnig anti clockwise, was spinning fine, - but had less than half the power turning clockwise.

My gremlins is usually gone by now, but off course there is no Garantie for anything.. 

At least this ‘shuffle and clean’ procedure is free of charge ;) and ensure good connections..

(Ps: Needles to say - always change gear filter ref. Manual)

I’ve now passed 160000 miles and managed to fight of ‘the flashing bar’ every time with this procedure :) 

hope the same for you..!

*(when I say shuffle the fuses, off course it’s the 30’s shuffle and the 10’s shuffle and the 7,5…. You get it. :) ) 

IMG_2917.jpg

Edited by Integrator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

@Integrator That’s a great very detailed post that I’m sure, will help out plenty of us DCT owners in times to come. Particularly with the pictures and item locations marked.

Thanks for taking the time to do that for the forum. 👍

Slowboy

@Integrator, what he said. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this. 👍

Thanks for the post, I have into the habit of spraying the connectors on my bikes and cars with Halfords silicone lubricant clear spray, it has fixed many faults.

• 8 months later...
Lonesome Rider

To all..
How are you, I hope everything is fine with you,
please feel free to give your opinion and help thank you in advance
Regarding what is going on with me here, and to sum up many of the details, I reached out to one of the maintenance centers that has a specialized malfunction detection device for my model of bike. The malfunction detection device revealed that the malfunction is 54-1 external mean shaft/counter-shaft speed which is 37700-MGS-D31 SENSOR ASSY., SPEED, there are three of them actually, and now we are searching for them in the market here, wishing to find them, otherwise we'll be forced to buy them from abroad, like partzilla US or something and wait until arrival an see the result..

• 3 months later...