2017 DCT stuck in first gear

SamDog

It happens randomly with no obvious connection but its a real pain. Yesterday I pulled away from lights at the bottom of a motorway slip road and it remained in first gear with the gear position indicator being just a dash, I pulled over and turned the ignition off then on with no resolution. I crawled along the motorway in first gear for ten miles, pulled over in the first lay by off the junction - engine off - engine on - and its back to normal and remained OK for the remaining 40+ miles home. The amber engine light is on but will probably reset and there was nothing coming up on the service computer when it was served in October.  Any thoughts?

DaveM59

IIRC side stand switch or contacts are worth cleaning. Something to do with not supposed to be able to put it into gear with the stand down but if already running and in gear and the stand switch doesn't make a clean connection it limits use to 1st gear.
There are also several position sensor connections on top of the gearbox that could benefit from a clean and all electrics adding some silicone grease to the terminals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Christian R

I had a similar issue with my 2019 back in November. I spoke with two different Honda dealers, one asked about the service history and as soon as I said it had been serviced at an independent workshop they said they must have used the wrong oil and have damaged all the sensors!!! The other was more helpful said it could be a number of things the chain being to tight and stressing the gear box, a sensor failure in the gear box, but did say try disconnecting the battery, as this may reset the system. This worked, to the bike to the independent workshop who had it for 3 days, the only recorded fault was with an output drive sensor on the gear box. There are 3 of these sensors, the fault was from the day the bike would not change gear. The garage was unable to find the cause of the issue.

Not much help in helping you sort out your issue I know but just sharing my story.

• Thanks 1

DaveM59 is quite right, all autos have built in safety features, if you find a Burgman 650 stuck in 1st gear, it is probably the centre stand switch corrosion issue, as the NC only has a side stand as standard, it could be that. 

Hope your keeping well Dave, I'm hoping to get back to travelling further a field this year.

I would also check the battery condition and it's connections, these DCTs are very battery sensitive with all the computerisation they carry. 6 years is a good age for one of these batteries.

My 2017 did something similar, once, and it's never happened again, so I ignored it :)

Edited by MatBin
  • Like 2
BusterKeaton

I have a similar problem, just a dash on the gear indicator. after stopping and starting the bike managed to ride 10 miles home will all working ok but with the engine light on.

I ran a diagnostic check and it came up with code "2765 speed sensor B circuit". The bike is now with Honda and they have found the same fault. Could be a faulty connection however they are going to replace all 3 sensors. All the plastic and the bucket have to come off so going to get the air filter changed at the same time. Should be about £80 for the sensors, and a couple of hours labour to complete. So should have un update in a couple of days

• Like 1

Is that £80 each sensor or for all 3?

• 2 weeks later...

This fault with the DCT appears to be quite common..I have a 21 model and over the last six months Ive

been experiencing similar problems..ie..staying in 1st gear and sometimes not engaging at all..I think

this could be a serious issue with the NC. It happened again today 12th feb..I used the paddles which operated ok

and after a while the auto started to work again..I wonder if Honda are aware of this issue.as this could prove

to be dangerous..

BusterKeaton

Well it took a bit longer than expected, had to wait for one sensor. So 3 new sensors fitted (£89.12 each) and a new air filter £37.94, with 2 hours labour at £65 per hour and VAT £490.27 in total. Only had a short ride home of about 25m however the bike feels like new. They did say that the connectors on the sensors were turning black so if I had been doing the work myself at home I would have probably tried to clean the connector contacts first. However if you are going to the trouble of removing all the plastic and the bucket then just fitting new probably isn't a bad choice. All good in the end, just need some good weather as I'm just a fair weather rider.

On a slightly different note if anyone is thinking of getting something bigger then the NT1100 dct is a great bike. I have one and it rides just like the NC but with a lot more power and a lot more gadgets. I took mine to Alicante last September/October and having done the same journey on the NC in 2019 I have to say the NT makes it a more enjoyable, comfortable ride. The NC is still my choice for commuting to and from work, great bike in traffic.

• Thanks 3