Geard really Hard to select. Forcing foot peg to jam and crank into gears.

Lukas

Hi Guys. I got the 2015 NC750XE manual.... i am not sure what to look at replacing first here. Do I start with friction plates or clutch plates/pressure plates? I am almost possetive that it cannot be this hard to select through gears? What is that a sign off? Some of the lower (1,2,3) gears actually make a serious Cluck!! When dropping down, its quite severe.

count von count

Is the clutch lever play set correctly? Is the chain tension set correctly? Start cheap!

• Like 2
fred_jb

Make sure you are getting the full range of movement at the engine end of the clutch cable while someone operates the clutch lever. Maybe also check that engine oil level is correct.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1
Andy m

Start at the outside and work inwards as above. Also, undo the linkage between the pedal and gear lever. See if direct selection on the lever is easier and if the pedal movement is clean.

What's the history? Did this just happen or has it got worse over time? Has someone before you been playing or using it for drag racing?

Can you lift the rear wheel and safely run it with no load on the suspension? Most Honda gearboxes don't actually need the clutch to change ratio, it's only for getting from zero speed to idle in first.

Andy

Check that there is spring tension in both directions (up and down) in the gear lever and that the link connections are tight and not slipping round the splines. Does it make a different sound in neutral when the clutch lever is pulled in and released with the engine running? If there is no difference at all it is possible that the clutch is not lifting properly.

When did you last carry out oil and filter change? If it gas got worse over a period of time I would initially suspect that it requires a change

Thank you guys. I think first move is to do the oil change,i havnt serviced for the worse part of my 12000km. whilst I am at it i will check linkeges and and spring play on lever also. I will get back to ya ASAP. 

• Like 2

Andy, its been a while coming, i jad a sense of a sticky lever when I purchased the bike 3 years ago. Its never really become an issue until now recently, however iys been underlying since back then.

6 hours ago, Lukas said:

Yeah, the vibe and revs are uneffected by neither Nuetral or Whilst clutch is engaged.

If there is no discernible difference in the sound of the transmission with the clutch engaged or disengaged with the engine running in neutral, to me this suggests that the clutch is not properly disengaging. The NC750X can vary in this respect. Mine from new has had a definite rattle that disappears when the clutch lever is pulled in. Some don’t have a pronounced rattle but I’d be surprised if there was no noise at all with the clutch lever out and the engine running in neutral. In this state the shafts in the gearbox are turning; they are stationary with the clutch pulled in.

I feel that the primary cause of the stiff gear change is likely to be poor disengagement of the clutch, either through poor adjustment, a sticky operating lever or some internal malfunction. Whilst old oil doesn’t do the gearchange any favours, the degree of pressure needed to change gear suggests to me that the main cause lies elsewhere - clutch mechanism/adjustment/operation or gearbox, possibly a bent selector. Hard to diagnose accurately without testing in person.

• Like 1

Xactly, really making more sense the more you talk.... i am gonna play around a little with it tomorrow man. lets hope its a cheap fix. just did fork seals ,major service and brakes too. I was kind of expecting to do the clutch also , but im not gonna say i didnt start getting excited when you guys started talking about adjustment solutions apposed to replacing clutch parts. hahahah

Ozzieflyer
On 17/01/2023 at 05:59, Lukas said:

Xactly, really making more sense the more you talk.... i am gonna play around a little with it tomorrow man. lets hope its a cheap fix. just did fork seals ,major service and brakes too. I was kind of expecting to do the clutch also , but im not gonna say i didnt start getting excited when you guys started talking about adjustment solutions apposed to replacing clutch parts. hahahah

How did you go?

I am leaning towards an oil change might reduce the noise. 

Oz