Engine oil query

Cubix

Hi

I bought 10-40W fully synthetic for my sons RE interceptor which I believe needs 10-50W.

Last time I used 10-40W semi synthetic in my 2018 DCT NC-750x. Can I use 10-40W Fully synthetic?

Liqui Moly 4T Fully Synth Street/Race 10W40 4L LQM20754

poldark

Honda specify 10W30 for the DCT versions, as the manual is 10W40 there's a good reason Honda stipulate a different viscosity.

2 hours ago, poldark said:

Honda specify 10W30 for the DCT versions, as the manual is 10W40 there's a good reason Honda stipulate a different viscosity.

Except that my handbook specifies 10w/30 for my 2020 manual. IIRC Honda changed the original 10w/30 to 10w/40 then reverted to 10w/30 on manuals (my Crossrunner was the same). I don’t know what oil is specified for the DCT version, but if I had one I’d stick to the recommended type. It seems to me there are already enough of them stuck in first gear or otherwise incapacitated to start experimenting.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Xactly said:

Except that my handbook specifies 10w/30 for my 2020 manual. IIRC Honda changed the original 10w/30 to 10w/40 then reverted to 10w/30 on manuals (my Crossrunner was the same). I don’t know what oil is specified for the DCT version, but if I had one I’d stick to the recommended type. It seems to me there are already enough of them stuck in first gear or otherwise incapacitated to start experimenting.

Honda specify all sorts of specs for all sorts of things but it's a catch-all for all the different environments they think the bikes will be used in. I understand several people on here have stuck non specified oils in their DCT and had no problems. Having said that I would certainly stick specified oil in my DCT for the reason you state.

As an aside the 1.5 CVT engine in my 2019 car has copped some bad press for it's 2017 version, oil dilution, but it seems it was only where the car was in very cold climates for a high percentage of the year and used on short runs. Honda decided to reduce the oil change interval and up the tickover revs to combat the problem for all countries, so my car now needs an oil change every 6000 miles to maintain warranty, ridiculous as my 2017 1.5 CVT Civic outside warranty got an annual oil change and never missed a beat. On the other hand Honda recommend 40k for a gearbox oil change and every owner knows 20k is a better idea to keep the box happy for a long life.

Ever since I started riding over 40 years ago I always used Castrol GTX in my bikes. That changed when I purchased the 750X DCT. I friend of mine has the same bike and he said to always use 10/30 in the DCT as the clutch doesn't like the thicker viscosity. I had no reason to disagree so did as I was told. 

• Like 2
Andy m

The DCT plans it's gear changes based on expected behaviours while coasting, viscosity by measuring temperature etc. The wrong oil can upset it. On the right road in the right conditions it won't, but it can another day. Unless you are running a fleet of dispatch bikes and buying oil by the tanker load it just seems easier to use what Honda specified and if anything does happen be able to skip that stage of the investigation.

Andy

• Like 4
  • 2 months later...
steeve139

Hi,

For the NC700/NC750 engines and the other bikes that use them, Honda recommend 10w30.  Another important point for us oil-buyers to note is that is has to be JASO MA, which includes JASO MA1 and/or JASO MA2.  I try not to get uptight about whether it is synthetic or semi-synthetic.

Then there is the discussion about whether to use 10w30 or 10w40.  Usually when oil makers describe oil, they show different effective ambient temperature ranges for different oil viscosities.  So 10w30 is said to protect up to 30C, and 10w40 is said to protect up to 40C.  Given that we have a few 40C days in the UK summer and many 35C days, it might point to using 10w40 instead of 10w30.  In Halfords the other day I saw 4 litres of Castrol 1 on the shelf in both 10w30 and 10w40, and at the same price - so it isn't a price or availability question.  The top half of the engine gets the liquid cooling, the bottom half just sits in the wind.  I suppose this must be driving the different upper temperatures for oil effectiveness.

Looking closely at the Honda nc700/nc750 service manual at the oil change page, there is the inference that either 10w30 or 10w40 will be OK.  Looking closely at the Yamaha MT-07 service maual (as a sort of alternative reference), there is the familiar graph showing effective temperature ranges for 5 or 6 different oil viscosities - all of them recommended for use, depending on outdoor temperatures.  And looking at that graph and thinking of the temperatures that I will be riding in this Summer, it looks like 10w40 will be the best choice.

I have between now and when I change the oil to pluck up the courage to grab the 10w40, and leave the 10w30 on the shelf.  It will be a real test of character.

Scootabout
1 hour ago, steeve139 said:

I have between now and when I change the oil to pluck up the courage to grab the 10w40, and leave the 10w30 on the shelf.  It will be a real test of character.

:D

MatBin

How much damage will running the 30 grade do if it gets a bit hotter? I expect Honda specify 30 worldwide. I have a DCT I will definitely buy the 30.

steeve139

Hi MatBin,

I am sure you must be right.  I found the owners manual for Turkey here -

https://2rom-prd-data.hondamotopub.com/om/HTR/NC750X/2018/NC750X_4TMKL800_0.pdf

And on the oil specification page, Honda are recommending 10w30.  If 10w30 protects engines in Turkey, then it must protect engines in the UK too.

Cheers.

• Thanks 2
Andy m

Oooh oil thread 😴

The Honda service intervals are based on Thailand in August. You'll sell the bike in a couple of years. 

Used chip fat will probably work. It isn't worth the effort to do more than read the book and buy oil with the same rating.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Haha 3
  • 1 month later...
steeve139

Hi

I just replaced my oil and filters.  The filters were from hipro - and I used the "RC" part so I could use the 17mm hexagon to tighten it up.

The clutch oil filter cost the same (£9) as the o-ring.

The oil was 10w30 from Castrol with an MA2 rating.

The most fiddly part was replacing the Forza air filter.  But it was so dirty, that I have decided to move the air filter from the 16000 list to the 8000 list.  At a cost of £20 (thanks China) it won't break the bank.

Just in case there are any other Forza riders reading - the clutch oil filter was replaced through the gap in the bodywork - so no bodywork has to be removed for the clutch oil filter.

Then I went on a 50 mile ride to make sure all was OK.

• Thanks 1
Steve Case

Yeah full synth 10w40 for me cos i can use it in both bikes.which funnily enough both look like they were based on ford zetec engines.

You pays yer money...