Running in rpm

mosspack

Hi all,

just taken delivery of a new nc750x, what rpm do you recommend for top end and not labouring for running. Just  come off a cbf1000 and loving the new motorcycle but need to run it in properly. Cheers 

Scootabout

When I bought my NC700X in 2013 I was told to pretty much ride it as per normal.  Maybe they took a look at me and decided 'normal' for me meant 'moderately'. On the other hand, my impression from what I've heard/read is that running in needs a variety of speeds and throttle inputs. Probably unwise to thrash it, but doing a constant 50 the whole time is maybe worse, or at least just as bad. 

• Like 7

What he said 👆

• Like 1

From the manual below...I've got about 100 km on mine so going through the same. Mainly I'm just making sure I'm not in too high a gear.

Screenshot-20230131-062655-2.png

• Like 2

Yes, best not to allow the engine to labour nor treat it overly gently. Honda used to advise using 80% of the revs as a maximum.

Andy m

Engine running in ceased to have any mechanical influence 25 years ago. We still have it on bikes because the lawyers are terrified about dealers grease monkeys bolting forks on incorrectly and untrained US riders maiming themselves on day 2, and they love the MRSP to be £100 lower than it could be because they can sell you a service at 600 miles with 99% chance of you taking it.

Just ride it. The biggest thing on an NC is getting used to the rev limiter if you have a manual gearbox.

Andy

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Andy m said:

Engine running in ceased to have any mechanical influence 25 years ago. We still have it on bikes because the lawyers are terrified about dealers grease monkeys bolting forks on incorrectly and untrained US riders maiming themselves on day 2, and they love the MRSP to be £100 lower than it could be because they can sell you a service at 600 miles with 99% chance of you taking it.

Just ride it. The biggest thing on an NC is getting used to the rev limiter if you have a manual gearbox.

Andy

8 hours ago, Andy m said:

Andy

Hey Andy,,,I am in the process of getting my Himalayan bored out to 465cc,,,,  would you run it in ? as if was new? thanks in advance

Andy m

Bored out or the barrel replaced?

A barrel made en-mass in a factory on modern machinery and then assembled in an engine could be very different to having some old boy put it in his lathe. Triumph pair barrels to pistons on a comparator and used to turn them over dry to complete the pairing. If you buy a barrel and piston in a kit they might be measured but I doubt run together?

Personally I'd just ride it normally, avoid extremes and change the oil after 500 miles.

Andy

• Thanks 1
listener

"Ride conservatively"

"allow the engine to labour"

@ted, this thread getting political ... :devil:

I always went by the rules for the first 300 miles or so -

Keep revs below 50% except for the odd short burst.

Do not red-line (or hit the limiter).

Do vary your speed a little rather than sit at one speed for a long time.

Use the brakes more rather than engine braking (light engine breaking ok in bursts).

Try to avoid steep climbs/drops so that you're not loading .

Then I'd gradually let things go up to the first service (70% revs etc).

Then it's 'go nuts'. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 1 month later...

Remember that when picking a brand new bike, you need to scrub in the tyres and bed in the brakes too.

splke

With No rpm dial on the scram I found the running period a bit of a worry. Lad at Eddie's told me just don't labour the engine and don't run it at a  constant rpm for a long period so change gear and speed regularly. He advised to work the engine as normal as poss. On my 1st service iwas told by the engineer that it was the qst one he had seen that had not needed adjusting so maybe I got it right for a change! 

Anyway off to pick up my 23 Yr old triumph now let's hope its not a pig 

• Like 1