Hello ! - Engine light won't go out..

Andy 27

Thank you all for the Welcome !  I was getting off my bike  on my driveway, a couple of weeks ago and my foot slipped and the bike fell away from me, I couldn't hold her and the bar landed on on a rock stopping the bike falling right over - A first for me. The bike was still running at the time.  No damage, but in the morning the engine light was on. I don't panic about these things, but it hasn't gone out since. I've checked basic things washed the salt from everything but the light remains. Is there a simple way to turn the light off to see if it was just a sensor for when It fell over ? Up to 37,750 now - other than this all A Ok.   Andy. 

Andy m

Best bet is to get an OBD reader on it. A few quid on the auction site for the cable and Bluetooth box and one of various fee apps.

You could also try the old Vauxhall reset, remove the battery cables, go for a cuppa, replace.

It's probably petrol on that spilled and got on the exhaust sensor.

Andy

jeremyr62

Have you actually ridden it yet? You might find it goes out on its own accord after a few rides. That's happened to a few on here including me.

I believe it’s probably just the tip over sensor that activated. A few cold starts and I bet it will extinguish….

Thank you all for your input. I've done a couple of thousand miles on it since, and like you, thought it might just reset itself. I'll have a clean up of the exhaust sensor and see if that does it. I had to replace my heated grips (like for like Oxford hotgrips) last week and disconnected the battery and thought that may have reset the black box. Looks like I should invest in an OBD reader anyway  - thank you Andy M. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone - just to let you know. All sorted. I purchased an OBD reader from that auction site and plugged it in - reader code said it was circuit in the flappy paddles - Which I noticed had stopped working the following day all this started. I jet washed all the crud off because the day it went wrong I'd been to Manchester and back in the rain with all the salt spraying up at me for 6 hours ! once washed down the paddles worked ok. Because I don't really use them, I hadn't noticed they had stopped working. So leaning the bike over wasn't why the light came up ! I cleared the code and the light went out and hasn't figured again after 700 miles. 

Peace of mind restored.  HONDA MOTORCYCLE NC750 2017- Onwards 4 PIN DIAGNOSTIC TOOL, OBD FI SCANNER was the tool no accessories needed - chuffed to bits for £35.

My bike is 2016 dct second edition and my assumption was 2017 onwards was the same bike/operating system.

Best, 

Andy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 23/02/2023 at 23:18, Andy 27 said:

Hello everyone - just to let you know. All sorted. I purchased an OBD reader from that auction site and plugged it in - reader code said it was circuit in the flappy paddles - Which I noticed had stopped working the following day all this started. I jet washed all the crud off because the day it went wrong I'd been to Manchester and back in the rain with all the salt spraying up at me for 6 hours ! once washed down the paddles worked ok. Because I don't really use them, I hadn't noticed they had stopped working. So leaning the bike over wasn't why the light came up ! I cleared the code and the light went out and hasn't figured again after 700 miles. 

Peace of mind restored.  HONDA MOTORCYCLE NC750 2017- Onwards 4 PIN DIAGNOSTIC TOOL, OBD FI SCANNER was the tool no accessories needed - chuffed to bits for £35.

My bike is 2016 dct second edition and my assumption was 2017 onwards was the same bike/operating system.

Best, 

Andy.

Strange, I just had mine come on. Like you I hadn’t noticed anything untoward with the paddles. After reading your post I gave it a good wash and the light has gone out. I’ve never come across a vehicle that has the engine light come on because it needs a wash 😂

• Haha 6
PoppetM

Oh no, don’t tell me I have bought a vehicle that demands to be cleaned…bad enough coming home to the comment “don’t you think you should wash it?”…

• Haha 3
Andy m

Are the paddles a accessory?

The plug will almost certainly be the problem. If so, it needs to be got at before the water gets there. Once wet the water siphoned up the cable by vibration will start the green rot. It's always a guess if you try to keep water out with grease or try to shield the plug with something (cut up oil bottle often works). What you don't do is tape it up and create a sweat box. Anyone got a photo of the plug?

Andy

I'm using a Halfords Silicone grease lubricant spray on my Fiat and Vespa, it has already proved an investment, it gets things working and they stay working, 5 years in and the Panda micro switch lock still operates saving £110 on a new part.

On the NC750, a Honda dealer fitted the positive feed wire to the heated grips from the front brake switch, they always flashed indicating a low battery, sprayed with the grease and they worked better.

I now spray all hidden connectors found during servicing the bikes and cars.

• Like 1
Andy m

The trouble with grease can be stickiness. Foden used to liberally fill every connector with grease. Open a connector and you can find either sticky pins or sticky, rotted, ground away pins where the grease held the gunk.

Silicone sprays (oven cleaner of the right sort is cheaper) have the advantage that they will only go where water will make it before the cables start siphoning. 

The best way to deal with standing water is to let it out. 

Andy

Argyll
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

The best way to deal with standing water is to let it out. 

Andy

Usually around 3am at my age.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
Gringo
5 hours ago, Argyll said:

Usually around 3am at my age.......

Had that problem too. Went to Dr about. He asked if it was regular. I said yes. "Then what's the problem?" he asked. Well, I said, I don't get up until 7.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3