Bike won’t start

CWG

I turn the ignition key and the dash lights up but when I hit the starter nothing happens. 

starter solenoid is good, bridged fuel pump relay and the pump primes. I suspect it’s the hiss not engaging but uncertain what to check next. 

any advice?  Do the ecu’s fail on these bikes.

thanks

Battery OK? I would suspect it has not enough guts to turn the engine 

• Like 1

Hi CWG - is the HIss light coming on when you turn the ignition on?  I ask 'cos I've just been out and checked my one - with the on/off rocker  switch by the throttle in the correct position (ie On) the Hiss light comes on on the dash. When it's in the off position it doesn't and the engine light is on permeantly. This may tell you if the switch is causing the problem ??  I don't know - just an idea - 

Best of Luck.

Andy.

• Like 1
Slowboy
10 hours ago, CWG said:

I turn the ignition key and the dash lights up but when I hit the starter nothing happens. 

starter solenoid is good, bridged fuel pump relay and the pump primes. I suspect it’s the hiss not engaging but uncertain what to check next. 

any advice?  Do the ecu’s fail on these bikes.

thanks

ECU’s rarely fail. Despite what the dealer might tell you when it’s been on the magic testing machine. The most common failures are down to the electrical connections and plugs.
It can be a Right Royal Pain to work through them logically, but if you’ve isolated the faulty circuit(s) that a place to start. 
I’d also check the side stand switch is working properly, because that can give the some of the symptoms you describe.

The other area of the NC that can cause odd electrical responses is the multi plug connector at the back of the instrument cluster if it’s got wet and corroded a bit.

Shame your so far away, I’d be happy to help.

Good luck with your search.👍

• Thanks 1
Andy m

ECU's fail through jump starting and welding, no other reasons unless the dealers monkey invents new ones.

I'd start with the battery, remembering volts don't guarantee Amps. Probably easier to just try another.

The imobiliser is a known thing. IIRC doesn't the NC have a dodgy plug down the right hand side between the helmet locker "bucket" and fake tank cover? Do I remember someone on here learning this the hard way from an Italian mechanic?

I'd be pretty certain you'll find the problem with a multi-meter and fix it with contact cleaner/Heat stink/pin extractor. Start at the first plug up the loom from the starter switch.

Good Luck

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
listener
12 hours ago, Andy m said:

ECU's fail through jump starting and welding,

Something you want to tell us, Andy? :lol:

41YTdvjnPxL._QL70_.jpg