Tight spots in chain

APB 235

Hi, cleaning bike and adjusting chain and I e got two tight spots where links don't want to move. Means I can't get chain proper tension as slightly loose or very tight. Any tips on trying to loosen links or do I have a new chain on the horizon?

Thanks.

Andy m

They need freeing up which is going to be massively easier with if off the bike. First item then is to order a split link and decide what you have or need in the way of grinders, dremels etc.

You basically need to clean it with something like petrol or paraffin and a stiff brush, get it moving by bending it back and forth then soak in oil to keep it free.

How many miles has it done? If It's an OE chain with 10k on it, I couldn't be bothered with the above to eek another few miles out of it. Chains are wear items, bin when used.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
fj_stuart

In my experience once an O ring chain link seizes it stays seized. God knows I've tried to free them with zero success. The O ring prevents any lubricant getting in to free the link. Try by all means but a new chain will be on your shopping list.

As I've mentioned before I have a seized chain sitting in a tub of oil/white spirit mix for the last three years. I wonder how it's doing.

Edited by fj_stuart
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2