Forks - second set of seals in 12 months

Kd750

Hi folks, just found this forum and enjoying having a dig around! I'm 70k+ km into enjoying my nc750x manual clutch, the poor bike has a relatively boring commuting life, but in the last 12 months the front fork seals have been replaced and have gone on me again (resulting in oil on my front brake calliper)

is it me/my riding?! I only Go over 2-3 speed bumps a journey and its not like I'm hitting them hard..surprised to be facing the same problem so soon and wondering has anyone had this? Any recommendations of upgrades? Thanks in advance! 

jeremyr62

Are your stanchions rust free? (the chromed tubes that don't slide just in case you don't know). Unless you are doing huge mileage per year they should last much longer then 12 months. Thankfully changing them is not too difficult but I would recommend using the OE parts. Your stanchions do need to be spotless though.

• Like 2
Slowboy

I’d have a good look at the stanchions for pitting of the chrome. If they’re pitted the seals won’t last. Getting the old ones rechromed and reground is easy but will take a week or two. Buying a new pair is quick but expensive.

• Like 4

Thanks a mill Jeremy, stanchions are perfect, (and yes, didn't know that was the name for them!) I used to be doing 2k/month but now it'd be a bit less than 1k/month, I do wonder was a poor job done as they were done as part of a service last year and have had a fairly easy life since! 

• Like 1

Thanks freeroader, I think they are fine but will definitely check them properly! Good to know on rechroming I would've assumed new was the only way! 

Edited by Kd750
Spelling
Slowboy
2 minutes ago, Kd750 said:

Thanks freeroader, I think they are fine but will definitely check them properly! Good to know on rechroming I would've assumed new was the only way! 

This lot have been going for years with a great reputation if you find you need to do it

https://www.pittedforks.co.uk/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Skidt

As both of the above have said.

I had this issue some years back on another bike. Changed the seals using pattern ones, on what I thought were very good condition stanchions, (it was my summer bike). They went again within a year. Ended up changing the stanchions and the seals / upper bushes for genuine new ones and have had no issues since. 🤞 The stanchions had very small (to the eye) marks on them, just above the seals, where I believe, the old bushes were worn and damaging both the stanchions and the seals. 

I’d also recommend fitting some fork gaitors when you get the job done, particularly if you fit new stanchions, or have them rechromed. They should stop any future stone chips or dirt ingress causing future damage. 

Search the threads on here, there’s one that states which Triumph ones fit the Nc. To be fair, they don’t look bad on an NC either. Got them fitted on mine. 

• Like 2
Steve Case

Mine were done recently and the shop mentioned the amount of rust on the upper staunchion that had been removed but they could not be 100% the seal had survived being fitted.

• Like 1
Xactly

I fitted Triumph gaiters to my NC when new. The ones from any of the 865 air/oil cooled ones that ceased production in early 2016 fit perfectly. Cheaper versions probably exist but as you’ll need to drop the fork legs (do one at a time and replace it) you might as well get decent ones rather than those that are spilt for ease of fitting. 
The other point I’d make is that sometimes a thin piece of plastic carefully moved round the lip of the seal can shift a bit of grit or whatever that is causing the leak. In this case however as both have failed the seals are indeed probably toast. Summer use can result in bits of dead insects on the fork legs, enough to tear a seal when it dries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
MatBin

Triumph fork deflectors also work and depending on your view may be "better" than full gaiters.

• Like 1
Steve Case

I clean mine and use acf to prevent rust on the swept area, i was meaning the fork staunchion above the bottom yoke thats hard to reach.

I now wipe the upper legs with acf to prevent rust reoccurring.

jeremyr62
30 minutes ago, Steve Case said:

I now wipe the upper legs with acf to prevent rust reoccurring.

I think that's a good guide to how well someone has looked after their bike. I often see bikes for sale with clean swept areas but rusty uppers. You could argue it doesn't mater if they rust above the clamp but it will make removing them from the triple tree a right pita and will wreck new seals if you have to slide then into the rusty bits. 

• Like 2
Trumpet

Also worth remembering that OEM seals are a double seal. and have a tension springs on Both sides. Most pattern ones do not, also  OEM seals are designed to be fitted one way only, ie both sides of the seal are not identical. They leak pretty quickly if you get them the wrong way round (from experience):angel:

• Like 1
davebike

If you going to buy Honda seals or possibly even if not It is often worth replacing the top "guide Bush"  if having trouble with blowing seals

• Thanks 2
Noel Hynes

I have been on the forum a few times with a problem with my forks and leaks,. Late last year along with lots of help help from Stuart- we  replaced both stanchions on my Honda NC2014- DCT . Previously I had  a bike mechanic replace both seals and less than 400 miles later- had one done again which I had to pay for again. Sadly still had problems and cut my losses and bought a brand new stanchion from Fowlers- the one removed was pitted- and my gut feeling this is what had been the problem all along... I then took the old one and sent it away to be re-chromed ( from memory it was around £160) and about 7-8 weeks turnaround (Philpots). The other fork was leaking so this was removed and replaced with the new re chromed one in December there. The bike is away for the winter and I plan to put it on the road next month. In total I am not far short of £600 + so far for parts etc ....to get all of this work done.

Also only bought Honda parts too- expensive but I was determined to try and do a limitation exercise. Looking forward to trying them out very soon. This has been the only problem I have had with the bike since purchase in 2019.. The original fork seals were replaced at just over 3,200 miles and the last one at just over 5,200 miles. From memory I am sure it was 4100 miles when the second repair was carried out- i.e. new seal in one fork...

In hindsight I wish I had just got the two stanchions re-chromed- I think it would have been around £260 from memory- the new one from Fowler was around £230 I think.

I really like the bike and hope now I can enjoy it without worrying about leaking fork seals etc- I have been thinking of trading it in recently- but having spent so much money recently- will see how it performs in the months ahead....thanks again to Stuart for his kind help/support and patience.

Noel

• Like 3

I've always kept my forks wet with WD40/ACF50 or similar products, all year.

Theory is it lubricates the seals and also stops things from sticking to (and hardening) on the fork legs. A quick spray and a wipe does the trick.

I also have fitted some fork protectors, universal ones that cost approx £10. They work.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
Gringo

On the subject of fork seals, has anyone tried this 'cure' for leaking seals?

I quite like this fellas videos but I'm a bit sceptical about this 'fix'. Maybe worth a try but I have my doubts that it's successful.

Slowboy
1 hour ago, Gringo said:

I quite like this fellas videos but I'm a bit sceptical about this 'fix'. Maybe worth a try but I have my doubts that it's successful.

That wasn’t put out on April 1st was it? Asking for a friend 😈

• Haha 1
Viator
1 hour ago, Gringo said:

I have used one with good results (99%) but this was on a trail bike that had been on a very muddy ride and the dust seals had been overwhelmed and some grit had got stuck in the oil seal. It was only a temp fix as I replaced the seal during planned maintenance a short time later but it kept the bike on the road until it was convenient to do the work. I had bought a Motion Pro item but have made another one since out of a plastic bottle. Motion Pro Sealmate Fork Seal Cleaner - Fork Seal Cleaning Tool 08-0395 | that auction site No good of course if the seal has been damaged by rust.

Sound advice from @NC Mick👍I keep my stanchions cleaned and lubricated with GT85 after most rides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1