Rusty forks

gymwitch

gymwitch

Sorry if its been asked before, i have been searching through posts but not found an answer. Its apparent that the fork tubes on the nc are prone to rusting. Mine were rusty when i bought it. I use wd40 on them and in the last couple of years have only slightly worsened and i use it all year round. Seals are fine. What can i replace them with is my question? Mines the nc750s does the x fit ? 

Edited by gymwitch
jeremyr62

Replace the stanchions? I don't think the pre 2021 X will fit as the travel was greater. The post 21 X might be the same but you would need to check.

If they are not eating seals then it sounds like you are OK. You can clean the stanchions with a scotchbrite pad or some very fine silicon carbide paper say 1200 grit. This will clean the brown iron oxide off and just leave a black spot. Then just spray the unswept area with a rust preventer of your choice (XCP, ACF-50 or WD40 but that ashes off very quickly). If you want the stanchions to look like new, buy replacements or get them rechromed.

• Like 1
skorpion

Clean up and fit rubber bellows type fork protectors if seals are not damaged.

You can get them re chromed not cheap but cheaper than buying new.

• Like 1
Noel Hynes

I recently got a fork re chromed at Philpot and from memory it was around £160-£170 . I am sure to get two done was £230 ??? but do not quote me- the prices are on their website- I found the service excellent and the finish very good. The only wee word of warning it was maybe a 5-7 week turnaround.. One of my stanchions was pitted- I should have just got the two re chromed- instead I got one re-chromed and bought a brand new one from Fowlers. Fingers crossed I have no more problems..

Sadly I have had a lot of problems with my 2014 NC750 with seals and have spent severe amounts of money getting them fixed... 

• Like 1
gymwitch

Thanks for the input. I will just carry on as i am then with acf-50 and fine paper. Ive had no issues with seals so all good there 😊

Steve Case

I wash them with water to get the salt off when i get back and wipe down with acf50 at the weekend and theyre holding up ok.

Clean em up as mentioned above

• Like 2
CSMonkey
On 03/04/2023 at 21:40, gymwitch said:

Thanks for the input. I will just carry on as i am then with acf-50 and fine paper. Ive had no issues with seals so all good there 😊

I've been doing the same this winter, but with a coating of XCP to keep the ginger rot at bay. The NC does seem to be very prone to fork rust, compared to my other bikes.

Rich

Steve Case

I sometimes think the japs spray paint their chrome on.

Andy m
12 hours ago, Steve Case said:

I sometimes think the japs spray paint their chrome on.

The trouble is, it hasn't been chrome since about 1980. Chromium kills the ozone layer above dolphins or something.

Our insistence on silver colouring is what's making them use ****y paint. I'm sure a passivated finish would be way more suitable, but would have a rainbow, yellow or blue tinge to it. Look at the pushrods on industrial hydraulics, they are fine after millions of cycles and years standing outside.

Andy

• Thanks 2
Steve Case

Hmm good call, i hadn't even considered that.