Bearings

Squid

Hi I am squid trying to find out how to replace rear needle bearings  on top dog bones nc750x 2016 ,is the top part connected to the swinging arm,  and do I remove  whith  special puller. Thank you 

Xactly

I don’t understand what you mean but I was able to remove each pin from all the bearings in the dog bones to grease them by supporting the swinging arm undoing the nut on each pin, removing one side of each dog bone, and sliding out the pins. I didn’t need to remove the needle rollers but if they don’t just slide out I’d make a puller with a suitable bolt, some washers and nuts. I don’t see how the top part (whatever you mean) can be connected to the swinging arm, but that might be me misunderstanding.

jeremyr62

Pins? I don't think the pins are supposed to come out individually. Do you mean the bearing collars?

outrunner

I think he means the pins that go through the suspension linkages.

Andy.

Markymark11

I would guess items 2 3 and 4 are what is being referred to on the diagram below. They are sleeves and slide straight out. if you want the actual needle rollers out (item 13) that are outside these sleeves then you will need a bearing puller for the relevant size.

(picture is 2023 model but it will be the same principal)

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/750-MOTO/NC/2023/NC750XAP/Frame/REAR-CUSHION/105374/F33/2/44681

Edited by Markymark11
  • Like 1
Xactly
4 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

Pins? I don't think the pins are supposed to come out individually. Do you mean the bearing collars?

Yes; I couldn’t remember what they were called. I no longer have my NC, so my post was from memory but I do know it’s not difficult to work out.

Hickky

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way, but does a cheapish commuter bike need such a complex rear suspension? To have link plates with needle roller bearings linked to a basic swing arm, then hang them in an area that is a magnet to dirt and damp seems to be somewhat complex. Am I missing something?                                                                                                                                                                                  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Grumpy old man
4 hours ago, Hickky said:

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way, but does a cheapish commuter bike need such a complex rear suspension? To have link plates with needle roller bearings linked to a basic swing arm, then hang them in an area that is a magnet to dirt and damp seems to be somewhat complex. Am I missing something?                                                                                                                                                                                  

I'm with you on this  twin shocks would be great. The cl500 has twin shocks and more travel than the nc.

• Like 2
Rocker66
8 hours ago, Hickky said:

3 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

I'm with you on this  twin shocks would be great. The cl500 has twin shocks and more travel than the nc.

You can add me to the list of those that think this way.

• Like 2
Andy m

And me.

Andy

jeremyr62

Not me. I loves me single shock swing arm type stuff. 

• Like 2
Xactly

Me too. The NC one is simplicity itself to remove and grease and is rising rate. The issue really is that it's a cheap, nasty shock. Honda would probably fit two cheap nasty shocks on a traditional swinging arm suspension set-up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Hickky

So if Honda fitted a rising rate spring and even a medium built shocker, the bike would not suffer these awful dog bones gathering muck and grit onto needle roller bearings which are a precision part. I like the Kawasaki option of a single shock laid down fairly flattish with a progressive spring. The less compensating bits added to provide a basic level of competence from a very cheap and flawed shock/suspension seems to me to be poor engineering put on a bike that, provided oil is changed regularly, is one of the longest lived bikes currently being made, although it staggers me that most motorcycle engines and gearboxes can run for decades and over 200,000 miles without serious issues. The problems are normally electrical!

jeremyr62

I think the NC linkage is decent and with a modicum of maintenance will be fine over the long term. If you want an example of just how bad linkages can be, Google FJR dogbone failures. Without regular maintenance and very good waterproof grease, the relay arm bearings in the linkage would seize and then the dogbones would fail in fatigue. There are examples of bikes where the rear suspension collapsed at speed. It mainly affected riders getting their bikes serviced by dealers. It was a biggish job so dealers didn't like doing it despite it being in the service schedule.

• Like 1
Xactly

I think they’re fine too; they just need cleaning and re-coating with ACF50 each time the bike is washed and then greased annually.