DCT clutch oil filter spring

jeremyr62

jeremyr62

I was doing the oil on my recent acquisition. A 2011 VFR1200 DCT. When I undid the clutch filter housing there was no spring pushing the little filter onto the spigot. The filter was on the spigot so it wasn’t moving around in the housing. No idea how long it’s been like that. I bought the bike with about 24K miles and I have done maybe 3K miles since. The oil was still relatively clean so if it has been bypassing the filter I hope the solenoid valves will be OK. The spring is not the same part number as the NC and the filter is not the same either btw. I have ordered a new spring. The bike was very clunky at low speed but I doubt this is related. I will find out when I replace the spring.  The perils of buying secondhand..

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
steeve139

Hi Jeremy, lots of people have read your story, and I am sure we all sympathise.  If my clutch oil filter spring rolls away during a service, I am sure I would go online and order a replacement - how much could it cost and how long could it take to reach me?  My bike is purely for fun, so I can afford for it to be off the road for a week or two - even though I would miss it.

In the meantime, I am keeping my garage clean and tidy, and have a big plastic tray to put under the bike when I am going to let the oil and filters out.   In online videos, the spring doesn't leap away from the filter - so I hope that mine will be like that.

Confronting the seller won't get you anywhere, whether they are private or a business, because there is no incontovertible proof.  If I were the seller, a point blank denial would be my approach.

I wonder whether your bike has any other anomalies.....

jeremyr62

It’s not a problem. I have a new one already. The bike’s fine. I think the spring is there just to make sure the filter is pushed against the spigot.