WTF - rear brake reservoir cost!

poldark

poldark

So I wanted to bleed the rear brakes and replace fluid, a lovely chore given the "built to a price" NC.

OK so perhaps I should've undone the reservoir long before now (six years) but I suspect many will fail to open the reservoir given the captive nut twirling inside a plastic housing design.

I eventually saw sense, before I completely mullered it and made the bike unrideable, removed and refilled the reservoir from the outlet pipe and gave up on properly bleeding through fresh fluid.

I thought I'd call and find out how much an OEM replacement reservoir was, a much simpler solution around.

Now I wasn't expecting charity but I apparently need to sell a kidney - £100. 

I'll look at breakers but every likelihood that a secondhand one will already be welded in place too.

I'd already bought an Alibaba cheap one, that certainly looked the same, but the sneeky Honda people have a small nub adjacent to the bolt (I'll admit this is sensible to help secure it) so what I had didn't fit and was also a smidge too large.

Any advice, commiserations or amused sniggering will be appreciated, possibly.

Andy m

The bike was £50 cheaper because they know they'll make that back in such parts over it's life. It's the business model.

Your choice is £100 or petrol and matches, so the £100 is just one of those things best got on with and then forgotten about.

Andy 

• Like 1
listener
1 hour ago, poldark said:

Any advice, commiserations or amused sniggering will be appreciated, possibly.

Sorry Martyn ...  :angel:

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Johnnie Mototrans

Surely you can rescue the existing reservoir.

At least in the short term.

A bit of UHU or Araldite or zip tie with another nut and bolt or Allen bolt will save the day.

Then you can chase a cheap replacement at your leisure.

MatBin

What's a rear brake? 😈

• Haha 2
Slowboy

What @Andy m said. If it was me, I’d suck it up, pay the £100 and put it down to experience…….

But I’d ring Wemoto first to see if they had an alternative, and Dave Silver spares, never know your luck.

Its a Beggar, isn’t it.

1 minute ago, MatBin said:

What's a rear brake? 😈

The thing your bike fails it’s MOT on because it’s seized? …..😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
poldark
1 hour ago, Johnnie Mototrans said:

Surely you can rescue the existing reservoir.

At least in the short term.

A bit of UHU or Araldite or zip tie with another nut and bolt or Allen bolt will save the day.

Then you can chase a cheap replacement at your leisure.

Existing reservoir still functions, but what would help (and save expense) is some trick to remove the nut & bolt that won't undo, as in reality that's all that needs replacing.

Drilling out the screw head wouldn't work, as the long thread would still be stuck, it's really how to release the nut that I'm looking for insight for.........

Egg on Leggs
2 hours ago, MatBin said:

What's a rear brake? 😈

Brakes are for losers.

ChrisCB
53 minutes ago, Egg on Leggs said:

Brakes are for losers.

Brake Lines Matter,  be kind.

• Haha 5
Rocker66
58 minutes ago, Egg on Leggs said:

Brakes are for losers.

Then how come that quite often the winner of a race is the rider that outbreaks his opponents?😀

• Like 3
Slowboy
10 hours ago, Egg on Leggs said:

Brakes are for losers.

No brakes are for donors……😉

• Like 1
Johnnie Mototrans
On 03/06/2023 at 19:07, poldark said:

Existing reservoir still functions, but what would help (and save expense) is some trick to remove the nut & bolt that won't undo, as in reality that's all that needs replacing.

Drilling out the screw head wouldn't work, as the long thread would still be stuck, it's really how to release the nut that I'm looking for insight for.........

Ah.....your captive nut is loose and spinning on the end of the bolt?

You're screwed!

More seriously, is there any way to get to the nut from the other side with vise grips?

Otherwise I think you are going to have to drill the head off the bolt or screw.

That should release the reservoir and give you some access to try to remove the rest of the thread.

Good luck.

Steve Case

Step away from the reservoir...

Use a syringe and pipe to draw fluid off the reservoir and replace the fluid at the caliper.

As the reservoir works don't remove it.

• Like 2
Egg on Leggs
On 03/06/2023 at 21:57, Rocker66 said:

Then how come that quite often the winner of a race is the rider that outbreaks his opponents?😀

Facts are the enemy of humour.

• Haha 4