Bronze bushings?

blan

I'm thinking of replacing the needle roller bearings in my 2013 NC700X rear suspension linkage with Bronze bushings as the roller bearings do need replacing and I have access to the machinery to make my own prosison set of bronze bushings way cheaper than buying new roller bearings. My question is what are your thoughts on using  bronze bushings instead of roller bearings? 

Steve Case

Bronze bushes also wear out and I'd make a bet its quicker than roller bearings.

The only thing protecting the bush surface is a barrier of grease or oil which would have to be replaced on a regular basis i.e. grease nipples.

• Thanks 2
Andy m

Replace 1920's technology with 1720's technology?: No.

This is a Brit bike fetish thing. The bronze is shiney, so can be kept in a cocoa tin for 73 years after it's worn out. They can be fitted using a leather faced mallet and then sized using a watch makers file for that "I did a craftsman's job" feel. You get to do the same job every few thousand miles as the grease escapes. 

Andy

• Haha 3
Viator
55 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Replace 1920's technology with 1720's technology?: No.

This is a Brit bike fetish thing. The bronze is shiney, so can be kept in a cocoa tin for 73 years after it's worn out. They can be fitted using a leather faced mallet and then sized using a watch makers file for that "I did a craftsman's job" feel. You get to do the same job every few thousand miles as the grease escapes. 

Andy

Oh so true! 👍🤣

• Like 2
Slowboy

Agree with @Andy m (again!) the bronze bushes will be worn out in no time. The swing arms designed to work with roller bearings, which if looked after (greased annually) will last the life of the bike. 

If bronze bushes were as good, Honda’s accountants would have insisted they were fitted, they’re way cheaper.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should, sorry.

• Like 1
Steve Case

On a similar note i replaced the linkage bearings on the triumph and found that a lot of the damage was due to the knife edge seals wearing out and letting water and grit past.

However i also found corrosion where the seal outer had sat which makes me think it may be an idea the seal the outer edge of the seal.

Any thoughts?

• Thanks 1
Xactly

IIRC the w/shop manual refers to smearing grease around the seals to prevent water ingress (or some other source did). Annual greasing of the roller bearings is simple on these bikes, starting with a bike in good condition anyway. I wouldn’t use bronze bushes either. Ever seen how quickly the bushes on a C15 destroy themselves when they begin to wear? Frightening….

• Thanks 3