Fork Oil Level After Successfully Stopping Leak With a "Seal Mate"

Ham

Hi All,

(2019 NC750XA with only 5300 miles, sat on driveway over winter).

I have had a leaky front fork seal and before either getting it changed at bike shop or doing it myself, I tried doing the 'Seal Mate' thing (thin bit of plastic to hook out any crud from seal, in situ). It seems to have worked! But I lost quite a bit of fork oil before doing this, quite a large puddle at front wheel.  

So I expect I need to top up the fork oil. Is there any way of doing this and gauging the level in situ without taking the fork off? 

If I need to remove fork, I will probably end up replacing the seal anyway, but it's not leaking anymore so seems  a bit of a shame.

Great bikes btw.

Andy.

jeremyr62

If you can get the fork caps off then just measure the distance to the top of the fluid in the fork that didn't leak and add fluid to that level in the one that did leak. Support the bike at the front under the engine; if you undo both fork caps at the same time the fork will collapse down. 

Edited by jeremyr62
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
outrunner

Just remember to loosen off the top clamp bolts before trying to unscrew the fork cap.

Andy.

• Like 1
Noel Hynes

Hi there- I have had a few problems with leaking forks and put this on the forum.

From memory I am sure there is a good you tube video on Hondanc750X Stuff.

Noel.

Cheers guys! 

After a short ride, and bouncing the forks a bit to see if everything was really sealed, it leaks again :( (so never got around to topping up). So I ordered a set of seals from Fowlers and am currently putting the kit together to do the seal replacement. Two week wait at bike shop, busy time of year so I'll do it here instead.

I've got most of it except the 17mm hex for front axle / wheel removal, but found something in ECP that will do.

But what are you using to get the top cap off the fork? it's the 'Showa dual bending valve' (??) type. I'll probably use big adjustable on it, unless there's a better way? I would ideally have liked to loosen it in situ first. 

I agree Noel, plenty of good videos on Youtube covering this. The job looks reasonably straight forwards as long as they haven't changed too much along with the appearance of this showa cap. 

Viator

Hi @Hamthese are handy to have in the tool box for front wheel removal Practical Hex Axle Motorcycle Front Wheel Hex Allen Axle Spindle Tool | that auction site as you can use a standard ring spanner or socket wrench with it. If your fork cap nuts are the later 38mm eight sided type I mentioned a suitable spanner and ease of undoing in my suspension thread here HyperPro front and rear suspension upgrade to my 2022 NC750X - Page 2 - Mechanical Items - The Honda NC Owners Forum (nc700.co.uk)

Do keep us posted on how you get on. Good luck👍

Noel Hynes

Good luck- I was very lucky as Stuart who is on this forum- helped me out immensely. The hardest part was trying to refit the new seals etc- if you look in the forum you will see the special tool created   and used by Stuart- I had previously paid a motorbike mechanic to replace both seals on two forks on my bike- at a price I would rather not repeat- one fork was pitted and not long after- I assume this damaged the new seal- and I was back to a leaky seal again- I eventually cut my losses and bought a new stanchion- and new seals- sent the old one to be refurbished and re-chromed and then fitted new seals- Stuart was kind enough to help me with this work- he only lives about 10 miles away.

Please let me know how you get on and if I can help in any way- just get in touch.

Noel.

jeremyr62

There are videos on YouTube about using pvc tape( insulating tape, electrical tape etc etc) as a seal driver. I tried this when changing the fork seals on a VFR1200. Worked like a charm. I used the narrow Gorilla tape but I am sure any stuff would work. Before this I used to use a thin walled steel tube.