Finding neutral and chain tension.

Jeffprince

Jeffprince

Question for the techie experts….could drive chain tension have a bearing on how easy/difficult it is to select neutral?

Slowboy
9 minutes ago, Jeffprince said:

Question for the techie experts….could drive chain tension have a bearing on how easy/difficult it is to select neutral?

In my experience it can. Always when the chain is too slack. It seemed to affect a few bikes I’ve owned. Couldn’t give you a reason though, just something I’ve noticed.

• Like 1
Gringo

In almost 50 years of motorcycling I've never come across this problem. 

• Like 1
steelhorseuk
13 hours ago, Jeffprince said:

Yes, it certainly can. Along with other transmission problems like changing gear. If your drive chain is out of tolerance (too loose/tight) or basically stretched too far it will cause you problems selecting neutral particularly from a standing start.

Of course, there are other mechanical issues with the gearbox or even the wrong type of engine oil that can also effect the neutral selection.  

• Thanks 1
Xactly

I concur. Too much slackness in a chain can affect the gear-change quality as well as finding neutral. This is quite noticeable on a bike fitted with a quick-shifter. Most old hands, including me, advise selecting neutral whilst drawing to a halt. It helps if both the lay shaft and output shafts of a gearbox are rotating when a gear-change is made - hence this trick. On some shaft drive models - BMW oilheads I’m looking at you - it is sometimes difficult to select a gear whilst stationary because the selector dogs cannot engage without both shafts revolving and one is not in the right place. Hence the need to release the clutch lever and try again…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
outrunner

Clutch adjustment can also cause problems selecting neutral.

Andy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Steve Case

Yup chain is too tight notchy gear changes.

Too loose no idea

baben

The DCT is very sensitive to chain tension in my experience. If out of tolerance the changes are very noticeable while if in tolerance it is silky smooth. I suspect this is a worse problem for NT1100 owners for some reason, given the númber of complaints from reviewers on borrowed bikes. (Eg, see Rocketman - a pretentious and arrogant pillock in my opinion, but what do I know?).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
fred_jb

Haha, I know what you mean about Rocketman, a bit of a smartypants who seems entirely too pleased with himself!  He also appears to dub his commentary over the video later, which makes it all sound far too scripted.  Even TMF doesn't do that as far as I can tell.

• Like 2
davebike

chain

Too lose unless massively no issues

Too tight  poor gear change  Massivly too tight  tends to cause the sprock bearing to fail but CAN cause the output bearing in the gearbox to fail and this may destroy the gearbox

My advice is first luberacate the chain  then set to the maximum sugested slack

We in the workshop see maney bikes with issues caused by tight chaines few very few by lose chaines

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Steve Case

Cheers Dave, reason i never worry about a bit loose on the chain is you said it was alright... so if it all goes horribly wrong its your fault.

Seriously though as the chain ages i prefer to make sure any tighter spots are not overly tight and the current chain has done around 15k miles and shows no signs of giving up the ghost.

Maybe it'll do two winters?

davebike

Yes Steve that is the way

I get a year and a half or two years but I high miles about 15k a year

first chain did just over 30k  but I use lots of lub scottoiler  run rich + additional spray !

• Like 1