Stupid!!!!

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man

Hi

While I was checking the valves and changing the coolant I gave the lights a checking while the engine was ticking over circulating the coolant, brake light was out 😡. It took me longer to change the bulb than to check and adjust the valves.

Come on Mr Honda surely you can design something better than that.🤬

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Slowboy
2 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Hi

While I was checking the valves and changing the coolant I gave the lights a checking while the engine was ticking over circulating the coolant, brake light was out 😡. It took me longer to change the bulb than to check and adjust the valves.

Come on Mr Honda surely you can design something better than that.🤬

We’ve all been down that rabbit hole Lloyd. It really is poor that you virtually have to dismantle the rear of the bike to change it. I still have the scars.

Then there’s the H4 headlight bulb on the non LED models…..😂😂😂

Grumpy old man
2 hours ago, Freeroader said:

We’ve all been down that rabbit hole Lloyd. It really is poor that you virtually have to dismantle the rear of the bike to change it. I still have the scars.

Then there’s the H4 headlight bulb on the non LED models…..😂😂😂

Didn't have much of an issue when I had to change the headlight bulb but the rear bulb😡. Although I've had it apart before and copper greased all the screws/bolts I still ended up having to drill the two rear bolts out.

What was wrong with two screws going through the rear lens. 

Grrrrrr🤬

• Like 2
steeve139

I got some transparent duct tape, and some black duct tape, and I put squares of it over the sunken fasteners, so I can get them off later.  Naturally I only did it on parts that don't get hot.

Time will tell whether doing this works or not.  For now, it is virtually invisible, and the heads of the fasteners are protected against corrosion - to the extent that I got there before the corrosion of the first Winter....

• Like 2

The design of some bikes & cars beggars belief at times.  Zero consideration to anyone having to work on something.

I bought my Spyder in 2017, and shortly afterwards wanted to upgrade the lighting to LED.  Bought 4 bulbs.  The dipped ones were easy enough to change.  The high beams - after removing a ton of plastic I could see them.  But to reach them I needed an arm and hand the size of a newborn with the grip of Arnold Schwarzenegger.  I decided to stick with the normal incandescent ones!

• Like 1
Andy m
20 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

What was wrong with two screws going through the rear lens. 

Grrrrrr🤬

You didn't walk out of the showroom through lack of them, some arty-farty loon will have said it looked better without. Service places can charge more when you need to take the engine out.

For the rear you could try LED's mounted to a lamp base. The problem is there aren't any reputable suppliers, only hobbyists and Chinese changers selling via the auction site ☹

Andy

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
42 minutes ago, Andy m said:

You didn't walk out of the showroom through lack of them, some arty-farty loon will have said it looked better without. Service places can charge more when you need to take the engine out.

For the rear you could try LED's mounted to a lamp base. The problem is there aren't any reputable suppliers, only hobbyists and Chinese changers selling via the auction site ☹

Andy

Once every 2/3 ,years I'll put up with it.

I just needed to vent off a bit of steam

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
listener
39 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

Once every 2/3 ,years I'll put up with it.

I just needed to vent off a bit of steam

So we see! :lol:

s-l300.jpg

• Haha 3
fj_stuart

Replacing an instrument bulb on my FJ some years ago.

c%25236.jpg

• Haha 3
  • Sigh 1
MatBin

Which instrument 😂

fj_stuart
2 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Which instrument 😂

All of them (I think)

Before.....

a%25231.jpg

......and after.

e%25231.jpg

• Like 1
MatBin

You can see enough of the Speedo, so I would have left well alone.

I recall my K75 had a breathable membrane within the instrument cluster.

fj_stuart
8 minutes ago, MatBin said:

You can see enough of the Speedo, so I would have left well alone.

This was a totally unnecessary bit of work because I never ride the bike in the dark. I only noticed that some bulbs were out because I rode round the block one evening after doing something to the bike. I think I once managed to replace a bulb with the fairing in situ but I must have become less supple with time. I had thought of borrowing someone's small child and training it to do the work.

• Haha 7
Bostedsprocket
37 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

This was a totally unnecessary bit of work because I never ride the bike in the dark. I only noticed that some bulbs were out because I rode round the block one evening after doing something to the bike. I think I once managed to replace a bulb with the fairing in situ but I must have become less supple with time. I had thought of borrowing someone's small child and training it to do the work.

i think you must suffer from the same ocd as me, if something is not working weather you need it or not it drives you nuts and keeps you up at night till its been fixed.  My mate at work just bought another fj1200 needs a collector box and a couple of carb diaphragms but is otherwise in pretty good shape they are gaining a bit of a cult status these days and increasing in price.  

MatBin

Mate of mine stopped at give way lines when joining a majorly busy road, got tapped from behind, trapped under the bike, just got out from under in time as a lorry rolled over his xj900 and destroyed it, dealer lent him an fj1200. He thought it was a huge lump, gave up bike riding shortly after, not sure if it was the accident or the FJ that did it for him 🤔

• Sad 2
Andy m

I've had that conversation with the dealers. They seem to think the bigger the loan bike, the bigger the favour they are doing you.

I was lumbered with a BMW R1200C while they did recall work on my F650. At the next service they handed me the keys to an R1150RT. Their F650 demo was parked next to it. I asked if I could swap. Matey in the queue behind me was all for it so the dealer couldn't argue. Wasn't happy though, seems matey was in for crash damage repairing for the second time 😁😁😁

Andy

• Like 1
listener
16 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

Replacing an instrument bulb on my FJ some years ago.

Great to see you put that Fray Bentos 'Kate and Sydney' pie tin to good use!  :angel::lol: