Vacuum brake bleed kit

Dickl

Does anyone have any recommendations based on personal use of a vacuum brake bleed kit? I need to bleed the brakes on my BMW K75s (non ABS brakes if that makes any difference).

Many thanks,

Dickl

Xactly

Never needed one in my K75 and that had ABS, which had separate bleed nipples. 

Andy m

You get what you pay for. Devices that attach to a workshop compressor are better than hand pumps, which are better than things that attach to spare tyres which are better than one way valves which are better than jam jars....

No idea what mine is. Probably Chinese tat, but it gets used once a year so not going to wear out. I previously had a Seely hand pump which was fine but eventually died of seals going through old age.

Andy

listener
23 minutes ago, Andy m said:

You get what you pay for. Devices that attach to a workshop compressor are better than hand pumps, which are better than things that attach to spare tyres which are better than one way valves which are better than jam jars....

So what you're saying Andy is "suck it and see" ... :devil::lol:

• Haha 2
outrunner
39 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Andy

I still have a jam jar and a bit of tubing in the shed, but as I do all my own servicing in my mates workshop it has not been used in a while. :)

Andy.

Skidt

I bought this one a few years ago after having it recommended by someone.
I’m far from a skilled mechanic but I’ve had no problems using it. 

IMG-3545.jpg

• Thanks 2
Xactly

I’ve used a slightly more sophisticated version of a jam jar and tube. It’s essentially a tube with a ball bearing in the end that allows fluid to pass into a plastic container but closes when the brake lever/pedal is released, preventing air from being drawn back into the system. It worked fine on my K series bikes, and also the oilheads I had, which have two bleed valves (one for the front brake and one for rear brake) on the ABS modulator. I’ve used it for at least thirty years and have never yet failed to bleed a system with it. 

• Like 2

Same here.

Slowboy
On 28/07/2023 at 21:10, Skidt said:

I bought this one a few years ago after having it recommended by someone.
I’m far from a skilled mechanic but I’ve had no problems using it. 

IMG-3545.jpg

+1. Still going strong after ten years or more of use.

• Like 1
davebike

I have the oridganal hand pump mitivack I think but also a large resewire and 240v vaccume pump I aquired used (ex Guys Hospital!)  that works real well mut the hand pump is OK and way cheaper!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
steeve139

I just spent some time looking at brake fluids, and found some nice little pots of EBC DOT4, 250ml for £2.99 at Sports Bike Shop.  I bought mine over the counter in Harlow.

Having small pots means they can stay sealed and only 250ml is exposed to air at the first use.  Normal advice is to use brake fluid from an unopened pot.  And if I was writing broadcast advice, I''d write that too - better safe than sorry.  Looking more deeply, probably as long as it has been opened for less than for 1 year it will be OK.

Still, it is sensible to open a small container rather than a large one.  And at £2.99 for 250ml, that is still cheap on a £/ml basis.

• Like 2

Mmm  brake fluid is hygroscopic, that means it takes water out of the air.  So a container with a lid on has a given amount of water available, sitting there for 1 day or 1 year makes no difference to the amount of water available.  On the other hand, a braking system is open to the air, so the fluid will degrade over time. 

• Like 1
Andy m

DOT 4 in the UK will usually pass a boil test at 5 years old. The only people who ever have any real trouble are the MOD who's weird antique collection ends up filled with stink jelly.

The seals on the lids of the containers aren't the same as the peel off on a new bottle. However, to get any real trouble you'd need to store the bottle in a leaky shed and go three times beyond what just about every manufacturer recommends for the change interval. 

The two year change interval is set by the needs of a vehicle parked up in Manchester just upwind of a car wash for 24 months then driven to Austria with the aim of stopping just after passing Adolf's old house. Any use or dry conditions are better.

If you are running a fleet you buy a tester that uses the conductivity to see how much water there is. Otherwise it's a consumable, so consume it. With one bike I'd bin any excess, no point saving it until next time. With two, do them both at about the same time. Having excess let's you be certain it's flushed through.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Thanks 1