Gear change seal

Laverda

The NC700 was derided on YouTube because if the £20 seal the gear change shaft passes through requires replacement you have to drop the engine & split the cases as it is fitted from the back of the engine case. Is this correct?

davebike

Not at all easy to tell from parts list

I not changed as a pro a Honda gear shift oil seal in years so could be possiable

I had nc gear change shafs oout lot of times never had a leak issue

I guess it some UTube nutter 

If it dose not fail who cares!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
ChrisCB
1 hour ago, Laverda said:

The NC700 was derided on YouTube because if the £20 seal the gear change shaft passes through requires replacement you have to drop the engine & split the cases as it is fitted from the back of the engine case. Is this correct?

That was on Dobbs podcast. It's actually the gearbox output shaft seal that you have to split the engine, common on most Hondas since the beginning of time.

• Sigh 1
Slowboy
2 hours ago, ChrisCB said:

That was on Dobbs podcast. It's actually the gearbox output shaft seal that you have to split the engine, common on most Hondas since the beginning of time.

Ah Mr Dobbs, a young man who takes great pride in wearing his limited understanding on the outside. 

Nothing to see here😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
Rocker66
39 minutes ago, Freeroader said:

Ah Mr Dobbs, a young man who takes great pride in wearing his limited understanding on the outside. 

Nothing to see here😂😂

He makes good money doing so though.😂

• Like 2
ChrisCB
43 minutes ago, Laverda said:

So it's true. Why would Honda continue with such a design? Ease of home servicing is such a positive feature of the NC.

Personally I've never seen one fail, including several 40 year old 400 and 500/550 fours + all my modern Hondas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Andy m
1 hour ago, Laverda said:

So it's true. Why would Honda continue with such a design? Ease of home servicing is such a reduction in the lifetime earning potential

Corrected for you 😁

Putting it in from the back is no hassle on the engine line.

When protected by metal from chain gunk etc. it lasts 47 years*

If it fails beyond becoming an impromptu chain oiler*, at a point where the bike isn't scrap due to being unfashionable, it's the sort of job people take to a dealer.

*I've seen one fail, on a 1973 CL350. Wasn't worth playing with.

Andy

• Thanks 1
Slowboy
2 hours ago, Laverda said:

So it's true. Why would Honda continue with such a design? Ease of home servicing is such a positive feature of the NC.

You also can’t change a piston ring without stripping the whole motor, or a con rod😂

These seals rarely if ever fail. It’s just not an issue. I believe Mr Dobbs is not a source of reliable information where vehicle mechanics and electrics are concerned😉

My opinion of course, based on the evidence he presents 😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
listener
On 24/08/2023 at 10:14, ChrisCB said:

My 2018 NC750X is in for exactly that - leak from the gearbox output shaft.

And yes they had to strip the bugger to put in the new bearing/seal.

I believe some of the bolts are 'one-use' and have to be replaced in the process.

Andy m

I'd view any bolt you need to torque as single use if that deep inside the engine. Something has to stretch to get the wrench to click off and bolts are the cheapest component in there. You also have to watch them with threadlock (lube).

Had a bus depot make a hash of exactly this earlier in the year. "We follow the manual" says the workshop foreman as they threadlock "dry" studs, re-use the old nuts, fit washers that aren't on the drawing, gun it on then pat themselves on the back as the uncalibrated torque wrench clicks after zero movement 🤔🤡😩

Andy

• Like 5
Jamesc

I was having fun with a heat exchanger last week trying to get it through a pressure test - 280 Nm on 3/4" bolts and still couldn't get it to seal after days spent machining sealing surfaces then DTI and blue matching etc etc.

Some head scratching then I asked what lubricant are you using...? None was the reply. So took all 108 bolts out one by one, apply Molykote and hey presto - leak free at a full 100 Nm less. New gasket at least but old bolts))

Edited by Jamesc
  • Like 1