Paint to touch up Swingarm

FurstyFerret

FurstyFerret

Hey guys, 

Swingarm off and has scratches/dings/rust. There's no play in the bearings, so don't want to shell out for replacing them for the sake of a powdercoat. 

Have been using Simmonz Tough Paint with mixed results. Has anyone got any recommendations for repainting sections (not arsed about looks but durability)? 

A type of paint, a primer, a coating?

Thanks.

Slowboy

Hammerite Smoothrite with their own primer underneath it. Does a really good job for me.

• Like 3

I used Hammerite Direct to Rust paint 

https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/direct-to-rust-metal-paint-smooth-finish/

as I’ve got a big can from when I painted my gates.

Not overly impressed!  Patches coming off on both my swing arm and gates and it’s not even been 3 years.  Single coat on the swing arm (only in affected areas) and multiple coats on my gates.

But as I have it anyway I might as well use it.  I will probably go over the swing arm again with multiple coats once I get my NC back.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

It's a thumbs up for Hammerite from me, Excellent stuff and good quality

I’ve used smoothrite with good effect. It’s usually ok if you give it time to cure or give it a bit of warmth in the oven. 

I prefer to use 2K as it’s petrol resistant, hard and you can put it exactly where you want. 

But smoothrite is ok. 

Cheers

Ian

Slowboy
On 17/09/2023 at 20:10, Empty_Ten said:

I used Hammerite Direct to Rust paint 

https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/direct-to-rust-metal-paint-smooth-finish/

as I’ve got a big can from when I painted my gates.

Not overly impressed!  Patches coming off on both my swing arm and gates and it’s not even been 3 years.  Single coat on the swing arm (only in affected areas) and multiple coats on my gates.

But as I have it anyway I might as well use it.  I will probably go over the swing arm again with multiple coats once I get my NC back.

Only just seen this. We used to use a lot of paint in the ship repair business, some compatibility issues between steel and salty water apparently. I was told by one of our professional painters that paint doesn’t store well once opened, and even if well sealed once it’s been opened (I turn my tins upside down) it won’t perform as well after 3 to Six months.

From memory, even the direct to rust paints need the removal of all visible loose rust. 

• Thanks 1
Empty_Ten
3 hours ago, Freeroader said:

Only just seen this. We used to use a lot of paint in the ship repair business, some compatibility issues between steel and salty water apparently. I was told by one of our professional painters that paint doesn’t store well once opened, and even if well sealed once it’s been opened (I turn my tins upside down) it won’t perform as well after 3 to Six months.

From memory, even the direct to rust paints need the removal of all visible loose rust. 

Balls, mine is over 3 years old and still about 2/3 full :hmm:

I think the tight arse in me will give it another go, considering that my NC doesn’t get used much now, I hope it may last better.  I’ll do several coats.  Still on the fence about getting the swing arm powder coated.

I’ll wire brush the rusty parts before applying this time, bit of a misleading description though if that’s the case!

• 1 month later...

I sprayed my swingarm with Hammerite satin finish, rubbed down beforehand, put on some rust remover, and applied 2 coats of paint, several months later I find the paint has flaked off in tiny patches, will use their primer first next time then, and apply 3 coats of satin black Hammerite.

Hammerite is a big no for anything that moves.. it WILL flake and chip at the slightest knock. if you don't mind painting it every few months then go ahead, otherwise any black spray paint would be 1000x better than hammerite.

• Like 1
Steve Case

You mean like Suzuki frame paint... that stuff flakes off if you look at it too hard. I would think any paint needs a good undercoat to bond too and an ex garage owner i know suggested on steel use a decent zinc primer then frame paint or enamel.

Any thoughts?

pretty much that. A good base layer with a standard auto spray paint over the top will last just as well as powder coat. It's all in the prep work. I've used halfords own paint with a good undercoat to do a few old bikes/top boxes/frames and swingarms that have lasted years through all weather :)

• Like 2
Steve Case

Yeah sounds good to me.

I guess frame rather than enamel which is prob too brittle.

Does beg the question why does the enamel on old brit frames last as they just had a piss thin layer of black gloss enamel direct on the steel frame? Mind you that was oil based rather than water based.

FurstyFerret
On 04/12/2023 at 20:38, Steve Case said:

You mean like Suzuki frame paint... that stuff flakes off if you look at it too hard. I would think any paint needs a good undercoat to bond too and an ex garage owner i know suggested on steel use a decent zinc primer then frame paint or enamel.

Any thoughts?

• Sigh 1
Steve Case

Couldn't be arsed watching that all the way thru.

I kinda like some of his stuff but not all of it's good so take it with a pinch of salt.

What paint did he use in the end? And what happened to any primer?

Steve Case

Oh is it still possible to get oil based enamel?

Not for the Honda obviously but for the 'ole shiiter' as my mate calls my dads bike.