Where/how to jack the front up.

FurstyFerret

FurstyFerret

Hi guys,

For removing the front wheel I've been using a bottle jack on a brick with a piece of wood placed in between the jack and the right hand side of the oil pan. Need to remove the forks and post them off for a service so was wondering if this sounds adequate. If not where to support the bike's weight as the engine base is quite angled.

Slowboy

Did something similar on my old Daytona 1000. I used the ratchet straps to stabilise it and made up a plywood base to go between the Jack and the sump.

IMG-2946.jpg

• Like 1

When I had my Nc750x I put fork gaiters on it not long after I bought it new. I simply used a scissor Jack and a piece of wood to spread the load, making sure that all key bolts etc were loosened before jacking it up. I should perhaps make it clear that I had a mainstand fitted before I took delivery. 

FurstyFerret
4 minutes ago, Xactly said:

When I had my Nc750x I put fork gaiters on it not long after I bought it new. I simply used a scissor Jack and a piece of wood to spread the load, making sure that all key bolts etc were loosened before jacking it up. I should perhaps make it clear that I had a mainstand fitted before I took delivery. 

Cheers, forgot to mention I have a main stand so wood to spread the load sounds like the way to go.

• Like 1

When I want the front wheel of my Forza750 to float in the air, I put a bit of sawn-off garden railway sleeper uner the engine.  I did put some 5mm thick self adhesive foam on the top surface which touches the underside of the engine.  And, just for completeness, the Forza comes with a centre-stand.

Jacks?  Coo. What high tech luxury.  :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Grumpy old man

If you have a main stand/centre stand then put it on the main stand and put some weight on the back seat or strap the rear down to a weight. 

• Like 2