First service of a Honda NC 750x dct

Cabunag

I was at the Dealer I bought the bike from Two Wheels in Edinburgh I live in Perth, with road works and traffic jams took hours.

My question is do I have to take it there for a service as its a new Bike, there was a dealer in Dundee but its closed now.

Slowboy

In simple terms no. Any franchised Honda dealer can do it. 

• Like 4
Empty_Ten

If one of the factors is to retain the manufacturer warranty - I’d give the shop a call and ask for clarification.

Like Freeroader said - any Honda dealer/workshop should be fine.  But I’ve read that some companies state that as long as genuine parts are used and receipted, any VAT registered garage is also acceptable.  

I add that with a huge caveat - do get clarification.   When my wife bought her R9T, BMW specified that the 2 year warranty and breakdown included is on the condition that the bike gets serviced at BMW.

• Like 1

When we were in the EU this was one price of legislation that went well with consumers.

You buy a Ford but can have it serviced at any VAT registered garage as long as they used Genuine (or as good as?) parts and the warranty MUST be honoured - Halfords for one were very happy about this.

Can't see why it would apply to cars and not bikes.

But, there's always a but, when you want warranty work done you will be put at the back of the queue, not refused as such, just not as important as the owner who has spent a lot more at that particular dealership service department.

Andy m
40 minutes ago, Andy131 said:

When we were in the EU this was one price of legislation that went well with consumers.

Can't see why it would apply to cars and not bikes.

What legislation?

In EU BER 2002 and 2010 (article 101 (3) TFEU)  they used the word car a lot because the idiots think in French and the industry lawyers know a loophole when they see one. A motorcycle or truck is not a car. In Comission Regulation EU 461 2010 they did use the word motor vehicle which might not just be cars. If you want to blow many thousands of pounds and 10 to 30 years feel free to sue any large manufacturer with a legal department. Start with Triumph or BMW, they blatently state a motorcycle is not a car.

This is competition legislation though. If Ford tell you your warranty is rejected because your oil was changed by a Vauxhall dealer you will win your case sometime in the 2030's. You will get all the stuff not excluded by the small print, so new engine, no legal fees, no loss of earnings.....But, Ford will never do this. They will reject your claim because the Vauxhall dealer cannot prove their technician used a left handed spanner as clearly stated in the engine stripdown training manual (the one you can buy any Tuesday in August if you know the part number they never give out). They will win the case in the 2040's.

The EU has failed in this because they allowed manfacturers to retain the power of investigation. A warranty is just a vague promise to help based on their assessment of direct commercial loss vs. loss of brand status. If you claim you enter a negotiation where you try and convince them helping is better for everyone than not. A FDSH is probably an advantage in these talks.

If we want really binding warranty we need US lemon laws. If a judge can see it's wrong and the manufacturer cannot prove how it was abused they have to give you your money back. If they want you to use that left handed wrench they'd better put a label on the drain plug telling you to. They set time periods too, no waiting for the complainant to run out of money. German manufacturers regularly get hammered by US county and state courts on these. About the first question legal ever ask is "where are they". 

Andy

• Like 2
alhendo1

I asked Honda this question in 2018 when I bought my lightly used 2017Nc...they said...

"Also, when it comes to servicing the vehicle, naturally we would always recommend the expertise of our authorised Honda dealers. That way we can guarantee that the service provided is up to Honda approved standards, all replacement parts will be Honda genuine ones and that the vehicle will be taken care of in the best way possible.

However, this is not a mandatory approach that you can take. If you decide to go with an alternative dealership, you might want to consider the following things:

·         To keep records of all the receipts/invoices and documentation given at each service

·         To make sure that all parts used, are Honda genuine ones

·         To work with trained technicians, who are familiar with the Honda service standards

·         Should an issue occur as a result of any service/repair done by an independent garage, the part/unit/system affected will invalidate the warranty on that same component.  

Lastly, as a recommendation you may further discuss all specifications of your services with your servicing Honda dealership, so they can set the minimum requirements for your model.

Thank you for contacting Honda UK. If we can be of any additional help, please do not hesitate to contact us back."

There doesn't seem to be any mention of vat registered dealers, but I'm pretty certain that is required.

If your bike is on pcp or the like I would be wary as future value could be affected by service at a non Honda agent.

I'd send them an email asking specific questions and they'll send you a reply so you know for certain.

As for Ecosse in Dundee closing it's a real shame as they were good folk...they had a branch in Aberdeen but not sure if that was Honda and/or if it's gone too.

As far as I'm aware there's only two franchised Honda dealers in Scotland now...Two Wheels in Edinburgh and Devines in Glasgow....not a great situation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
alhendo1
1 hour ago, Argyll said:

North Harbour in Ayr must be franchised?

Well done Alan....forgot all about them....thanks.

• Like 1

If you are taking a DCT bike into a dealer for a 600 mile service, remind them that the clutch oil filter will need to be changed as well as the regular engine oil filter.

Precisely that was missed on my Forza 750.  When the service administrator handled it poorly (inadequate in my opinion) I took it to another franchised Honda dealer and got it repeated there.  So I have a 600 mile stamp and a 900 mile stamp in my book.  Naturally I have to pay for both services, but I wanted the clutch oil filter changed, as per Honda recommendations.

11 hours ago, Cabunag said:

I was at the Dealer I bought the bike from Two Wheels in Edinburgh I live in Perth, with road works and traffic jams took hours.

My question is do I have to take it there for a service as its a new Bike, there was a dealer in Dundee but its closed now.

Welcome to the forum. Road works and jams are a pain. Maybe you could plot an alternative route in advance to get around the congestion? Just an idea :thumbsup: 

5 hours ago, Argyll said:

North Harbour in Ayr must be franchised?

I think (not sure)its owned by same folk as Victor Devine.. yes was in there a  few month ago they very helpful.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15/10/2023 at 19:20, steeve139 said:

If you are taking a DCT bike into a dealer for a 600 mile service, remind them that the clutch oil filter will need to be changed as well as the regular engine oil filter.

Precisely that was missed on my Forza 750.  When the service administrator handled it poorly (inadequate in my opinion) I took it to another franchised Honda dealer and got it repeated there.  So I have a 600 mile stamp and a 900 mile stamp in my book.  Naturally I have to pay for both services, but I wanted the clutch oil filter changed, as per Honda recommendations.

YES THIS IS A FACT … the DCT has its own oil and filter and must be changed…. A good bike mechanic will now that ….  My bike is out of warranty so I took to my local bike mechanic near chesterfield Derbyshire it was the first thing he mentioned but I wasn’t aware . Thanks for pointing this out to DCT owners .

• 4 weeks later...

My NC750X DCT first service was carried out by a Triumph Dealer but the checklist completed was for a NC750X DCT, presumably a download, all consumables where checked off and were Honda OEM. So I am not concerned.

• Like 1