My nc 750x hard to start

Robert p

Hi my 2017 Honda nc 750x is hard to start most of the time .I’ve change the fuel from E10 to E5 thinking that s the problem .given it a serves oil air plugs. most of the time it turns over for quite a while and then fires up sometimes it just starts on the button .if I give it some throttle it will start but again not all the time.once started the bike goes normal no problems doesn’t matter if the bike is hot or cold .any one got any suggestions .thanks 

Slowboy

Only thing I can think of is when the ignition is initially turned on, it needs to go through its gauge routine while it gets the fuel pressure up. You can hear the fuel pump for a couple of seconds.

Other than that, call it a characteristic and don’t fret about it.😁

poldark

What plugs did you fit, OEM is Iridium IIRC.

If you're on the original battery that could also be getting beyond it's best, what Voltage is it at before starting?

Is your NC a DCT, if so be sure to switch to Neutral before you turn the ignition off, when parking up.

• Like 1
jeremyr62

You could check your valve clearances too. If these are out (unlikely), a symptom can be hard starting. 

Andy m

If it turns at full speed but doesn't start it's either no spark or no fuel. First job is to work out which.

Any activity on the immobiliser light?

Smell of petrol at the exhaust?

Dimming lights?

No compression is possible but unlikely, it'd be burning oil and/or doing 15 mpg and/or accelerating like a snail with heavy shopping. It's a modern Honda not a BSA.

Intermittent faults usually turn thinking to electrical items. Bad connections arc until they warm up and work, broken pipes leak and keep leaking.

It'd take a can of WD-40 and spray the starter button. No joy, spray the coil pack. No joy take the side panel off and spray/wiggle the loom that works the HISS ring piece antenna . Work your way round until something changes then focus on that. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1

One with no faults starts almost immediately, hot or cold. Checks as stated above should find out what.

Johnnie Mototrans

I'm going to go with battery.

Try a set of jump leads from a known good battery.

If it goes vrooom with no hesitation then that would point in that direction.

At 6 years old, if it is on it's original battery, then fitting a new one would be a perfectly reasonably step to take - for either prevention or cure.

I agree with the idea of waiting 5 seconds after ignition turn-on for the electrics to "gather up its skirts" before pressing the button.

With mine, I have always opened the throttle a bit when pressing Start - the manual says it shouldn't be necessary, but I have always found it to help.  If it works for you that would be good.

After reading recent posts on here I intended to select neutral before turning off, but I never changed my behaviour, so mine goes off in D.

With modern ignition and fuel injection, we shouldn't expect those super iridium plugs to have any problems, but we always used to take them out and inspect them to try to get an insight as to what was going on in our cylinders - maybe this could provide some information, you could act on.

Maybe, and I don't like suggesting this, you could visit a dealer - but they would start by doing everything you've done......

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

mine did this a couple of times and then the time after when it started properly, the engine light came on, lack of power ( HA! ) and popped and banged a lot! o2 sensor cable was at fault.